ADD244 upgrade question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leigh

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi

I have a 97 Tahoe 2 dr southern truck in fine condition but I need to upgrade from the CS alternator.

I have read many threads on the subject going back over a decade ago in some instances but never read anything about the sense wire.

Is it just a 16 or 18 ga wire with a ring terminal from either the battery or JB going back to the alt oval connector using the S pin ?

Just don't want to fry this new alternator by doing some wrong.

Thanks in advance

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about showing what you have? Wiring differences between options makes a difference. Guages or light?
How about pics of connector? Should be flat 4 pin oval on cs130 and ad244. But there is early and late.

OP
OP
leigh

leigh

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi

The OEM alternator was the CS130 105amp with the standard oval connector. Both the AD244 and the CS130 work using the "L" pin utilized which is to the light/volt meter however the AD244 has a "Sense" wire for determining voltage loss say at the JB where the alt can try to compensate by raising output to offset the loss at remote locations.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are gonna have to do better than that- You have more details in your head than I do about your install and your question is vague at best. Do you have the AD244G? Are you using a cut off plug from donor vehicle?
If you sourced the alt correctly, it is plug and play. So help me out here. My guess is you require the resistor or you wouldn't be asking. Terminals are P-L-F-S. Quit watching Utube and look at a diagram.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In case you were not aware, CS130 and AD244 are Classes of alts, sort of case size/style/amp limits. Many variations, plug styles,case clocking, ect. Next you have Vehicle requirements to match. Like I asked in 1st reply- Guages or lights? Dual batteries? You are asking a detailed wiring question I cannot answer correctly about the sense wire unless I know vehicle configuration.
You inferred you have a new alternator. Done correctly, it is plug and play. Incorrectly you will have charging issues, probably no smoke. Post details of what you have, (truck), Alt uses different voltage regulators depending on vehicle specifics. Not trying to be an ass, just are.