AC shuts off when it rains or car wash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

natrotciv

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all,

My 2005 has recently started showing AC problems when going through the car wash or when it rains hard. If its a light rain, the AC will work perfectly fine, but if its hard rain, the AC shuts off and will turn back on after a few minutes. When going through the car wash, the same thing will happen with hard rain and I need to drive the truck for 10 minutes or so on the freeway before the AC turns back on. I feel that it has something to do with electrical that is getting wet and needs to air dry before functioning properly again but not sure. Anyone else ever run into this issue or can point me to the right thread for this fix?

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Nice Tahoe and welcome. Sounds like a loose connection somewhere. I’m not that knowledgeable on the AC components , I don’t think I’ve ever used mine up here in AK. @Rocket Man might have a better idea. @Fosscore lives in FL and I’m sure has heard of common AC problems

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good looking Tahoe. I don't use the full service car wash, rarely the touchless and my A/C runs nearly every time I am in the truck. I have never had an OFF issue with heavy thunderstorms here (sits outside), regular weekly washings or the very occasional touchless carwash. Not sure what direction to point you in, other than something component wise rather than water related. Sorry I don't have any further info. Good luck.

OP
OP
natrotciv

natrotciv

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nice Tahoe and welcome. Sounds like a loose connection somewhere. I’m not that knowledgeable on the AC components , I don’t think I’ve ever used mine up here in AK. @Rocket Man might have a better idea. @Fosscore lives in FL and I’m sure has heard of common AC problems

Thanks man - like the look of yours as well! Ok, I will see if Rocket Man is able to provide some more insight. I appreciate the help

A worn AC clutch can do that.

I will take a look at the clutch fan. Would high speed winds (the drying fans in Mister Car Wash or any drive through car wash) also be affected by the AC clutch?

Good looking Tahoe. I don't use the full service car wash, rarely the touchless and my A/C runs nearly every time I am in the truck. I have never had an OFF issue with heavy thunderstorms here (sits outside), regular weekly washings or the very occasional touchless carwash. Not sure what direction to point you in, other than something component wise rather than water related. Sorry I don't have any further info. Good luck.

Thank you sir - your truck is also pretty bad@$$. I am thinking its electrical and I found a video of a sensor that could be the culprit but still doesnt make sense that it only happens when it rains or goes through the wash

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I suck at AC problems but your truck looks badass. Does the little snowflake symbol on the control flash 3 times when you try to turn it back on? Or is lt still lit with no fan or is it just off period?

OP
OP
natrotciv

natrotciv

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I suck at AC problems but your truck looks badass. Does the little snowflake symbol on the control flash 3 times when you try to turn it back on? Or is lt still lit with no fan or is it just off period?

It flashes 3 times. Once i'm back on the freeway, the ac will return to normal within a few minutes unless its raining very hard

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Normally that’s a problem with not enough airflow over the condenser. The clutch fan may be going bad or it just might be normal. My 02 does that when it’s too hot outside and Im sitting in traffic. Edit: I did the e fan conversion and it’s better but still does it at times. Not sure why water would have an effect though, maybe it’s a coincidence. I just know that as I drive for a bit and air flows over the condenser for a bit the ac comes back on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
natrotciv

natrotciv

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
For anyone that was curious, it turned out to be the ambient temp sensor behind the passenger parking lamp that needed to be replaced.

But now im having the dreaded crazy seat warmer malfunction... the problems continue. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne

Latest posts