AC issue I didn't know about

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

freods

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So a couple months ago I bought a Certified 2016 Tahoe LT, Luxury package, Sun entertainment package, Max trailering, Second row buckets, 20" Polished aluminum wheels, Splash guards, Siren red tintcoat. Unfortunately, as soon as I saw this truck with the CocoaDune leather interior and literally not a mark on it, I wanted it. The original sticker was 65,500. They had it up for 43,000 and I got it at 41,000. It had 28,000 miles on it. Anyhow, since I bought it in cold weather I didn't try the AC, so now the weather warms up and I turn on the AC and it just doesn't seem to be blowing cold. I pop in a dash vent thermometer and it is showing 60 degrees. So I join this forum and discover the now well known AC condenser issue and am kicking myself for not doing any homework and falling for this truck as soon as I saw it. So off I go the dealership armed with all the info and the extended warranty number and my certified warranty info ready to do battle. Well, the techs in service could not have been more helpful and listened to me patiently and told me that obviously they would dye test the system and check the well known issues, BUT they have been seeing leaks at the rear evaporator which I never heard about. And that was the problem. The other stuff will probably fail eventually, but for now it was the rear evaporator. Of course all was done under warranty and they gave me Z71 Colorado as a loaner. I did have a discussion with my sales rep and the used car mgr. suggesting that this vehicle should never have been put up for sale without checking out the AC. Of course they were all apologetic and said they would add that to what they do in the future. I also said that the NAV systems should be updated on Certified vehicles, but they wouldn't go that far. Thanks for listening to me vent at bit, but I still love this truck. Coming from a 2005 Hemi Durango that I put 150K miles on, this Tahoe is a dream.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Miami Beach Jack!

Hopefully you will be good to go from here on in. My 2016 Tahoe LT also has the Coca Dunne leather interior. At first I was not crazy about Coca Dunne [originally wanted a Black Leather interior] but prefer Coca Dunne now. I have 60K miles on it.

I am concerned about my a/c. So far [knock on wood] it is okay. I keep mine on all the time as I just set it and forget it. It really is not good to keep the a/c system off for long periods of time. I find the best thing is [on all vehicles] just to leave the a/c system on all the time.

But that is just me. To each their own.

Jorge1313

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Miami Beach Jack!

Hopefully you will be good to go from here on in. My 2016 Tahoe LT also has the Coca Dunne leather interior. At first I was not crazy about Coca Dunne [originally wanted a Black Leather interior] but prefer Coca Dunne now. I have 60K miles on it.

I am concerned about my a/c. So far [knock on wood] it is okay. I keep mine on all the time as I just set it and forget it. It really is not good to keep the a/c system off for long periods of time. I find the best thing is [on all vehicles] just to leave the a/c system on all the time.

But that is just me. To each their own.
Tell us how’s your 2016 been with you has been good to you at 60k that a lot of miles on it

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tell us how’s your 2016 been with you has been good to you at 60k that a lot of miles on it

So far just plan old regular service every 5K miles. Still on the original brakes to my amazement considering all the traffic I sit in. The POS Continental tires lasted 45K miles. I make a lot of trips from Miami-NYC and lot of trips from South Miami to North Broward&Miami Beach.

Plus it gets awesome mileage [24-25 mpg with the front and rear air on] out on the highway with plain old 87 regular fuel. I have zero complaints when it comes to my Tahoe.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah. 2wd and driving less than 70mph to get that mileage?

yes 2 wd

Less then 70mph out on I-95 would be a hazard. Speed was steady [sometimes CC on] 75mph..In the Carolinas going around 80mph or higher mileage would drop down a little but not much. From Virginia on north [with the nasty congestion and Leos everywhere] it is hard to get to 75mph.

Plus in Virginia anything over 80 mph is considered Reckless Driving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staffie