Ac cools a bit then warm? May have found the fix.....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So update for anyone interested... Reset the control unit by pulling fuse 39 and relearn procedure... Its still had some struggling points after replacing that sensor.. SO I am almost leaning to the control unit having some issues... When it works I get 39 degrees out of it at night, 48 during day on recycle.. 100 degree plus right now here during day, night 80 degrees.. When it works its great... I have found that it only does it on certain drive cycles... It starts off ok then gets warmer, If I manually turn off the control and turn back on, it works about where it should be... Its just my luck that the one time a year my AC decided to give me shit was the time when we push into 100 + temps...

So anyone else who has experienced this issue before have any help to offer I am all ears... THe blow out of the aspirator worked as a get by for that one day on the way home, next it worked pretty good, I deiced to replace that sensor and a pressure switch while i was at it. The compressed air trick does work if your aspirator is dirty or stuck it seems mine may have had a little dust on it but I think we are getting to the full cause of my issues...

So spend the 250 for the control unit head on the dash or is it another faulty sensor?
could maybe still be that aspirator, a new one is about $25 online, you may want to have the freon pressure checked also I have seen the same issue you reporting happen from low freon and also from a funky controller (on a 2003)

OP
OP
Bigkevschopshop

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you notice a difference between having your system set to AUTO or not?
Flip it to auto, it makes some changes, sometimes It starts working and drops vent temps about 10 degrees into the area they should be and normally reside.. Other times like this morning, drivers side kinda fluctuated, passenger side stayed pushing 57-60 degree and drivers low was in the 40s... Turned it off, back on, flipped auto, but auto did the best this morning.

OP
OP
Bigkevschopshop

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could maybe still be that aspirator, a new one is about $25 online, you may want to have the freon pressure checked also I have seen the same issue you reporting happen from low freon and also from a funky controller (on a 2003)
I had it pulled down and recharged due to the start of this issue, I thought it had gotten air in it when I added some freon without purging my charge line. So it worked ok for my trip out of town, and was ok for about a week then the crap started... Its slowly gotten more pronounced in its temp swings... I have ran from cold to heat, and the blend doors work fine... It just seems the blend doors are opening when I have it at max cold and allowing heat or ambient air through... I had checked my pressures last week to see and they were about spot on, only issue it had was it was cycling clutch sometimes for no reason, in park in the driveway, max blower speed, give it some gas to 1200 rpm, and the clutch was cycling, SO I did what I knew to be the cause of that, pressure switch... and now it doesn't cycle in this test scenario. I have done 2 relearns on the control unit hoping it was a glitch, but no matter what it settles back into this rhythm. If it did something all the time I would be able to say ok, this or that within reason... But with pressures doing great when the ac runs right... I rule out the compressor due to the pressures being spot on and the high side is actually better than most I have seen.

Funny thing you said about heat after you had installed a controller... Mine never really put much heat out till I ran it up to in the mid 80s to 90 during the winter...

Thanks for the help guys... I am torn to buy a knock off tech 2 or just take this to the stealership friday morning and have them hook up and see what its doing. May just order a tech 2 knockoff but take to stealership and have a scan done for their 170 bucks.. Oreilly has the control units for 240 bucks, ac delco... or I could just throw that in and see what happens...... Decisions decisions. But This whole ordeal has made me look at eskys and denalli's, but this gal is paid off and rides good, does what she needs to do... Just wish she had more power and lower rear gear...

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had it pulled down and recharged due to the start of this issue, I thought it had gotten air in it when I added some freon without purging my charge line. So it worked ok for my trip out of town, and was ok for about a week then the crap started... Its slowly gotten more pronounced in its temp swings... I have ran from cold to heat, and the blend doors work fine... It just seems the blend doors are opening when I have it at max cold and allowing heat or ambient air through... I had checked my pressures last week to see and they were about spot on, only issue it had was it was cycling clutch sometimes for no reason, in park in the driveway, max blower speed, give it some gas to 1200 rpm, and the clutch was cycling, SO I did what I knew to be the cause of that, pressure switch... and now it doesn't cycle in this test scenario. I have done 2 relearns on the control unit hoping it was a glitch, but no matter what it settles back into this rhythm. If it did something all the time I would be able to say ok, this or that within reason... But with pressures doing great when the ac runs right... I rule out the compressor due to the pressures being spot on and the high side is actually better than most I have seen.

Funny thing you said about heat after you had installed a controller... Mine never really put much heat out till I ran it up to in the mid 80s to 90 during the winter...

Thanks for the help guys... I am torn to buy a knock off tech 2 or just take this to the stealership friday morning and have them hook up and see what its doing. May just order a tech 2 knockoff but take to stealership and have a scan done for their 170 bucks.. Oreilly has the control units for 240 bucks, ac delco... or I could just throw that in and see what happens...... Decisions decisions. But This whole ordeal has made me look at eskys and denalli's, but this gal is paid off and rides good, does what she needs to do... Just wish she had more power and lower rear gear...
the tech2 is good for all kinds of other stuff down the road, I did use mine to troubleshoot the hvac and eventually came to the conclusion that it was the control unit.

OP
OP
Bigkevschopshop

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So. Brought to dealer Friday they did a full check. No bcm codes. No faults. They said it blew cold air. But reprogrammed the climate controller with the tsb that is the latest for fresh air operation. Blew cold on the way home yesterday. This morning thru mid day all good. Then after our 3rd stop today warm after comming to a stop and starting off again. Almost like airflow issue on condenser today. Fans blowing full tilt at stop for any ammt of time. Condenser looks clear and clean. May have to pull bumper and do coil cleaning or could just be that actuator for blend door doing weird shit. Don’t know. To the point I was looking at lower mile denalli and esky today. Just can’t justify it almost. Maybe I will pull the bottom blend actuator and clean gears and re grease?

Just weird. Noticing when temp outside is reading 98 or above the problems get more dramatic. Below that it’s not nearly as bad.

OP
OP
Bigkevschopshop

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Latest update. The actuator wasn’t as bad to pull out as everyone makes it to be. 5.5 regular socket on 1/4” ratchet and you remove the side console cover and not terrible.

Findings. Actuator had grease everywhere. On top of chip inside there. The contacts were doused in grease and not much was on the teeth. So. The grease in there was clean and nice so moved it around from places it shouldn’t be to shafts and gear faces. Cleaned the contacts up for the indication of position. Before re installing it I cycled the blend door manually. Works fine. Cycled the temp w rebuilt actuator. Movement was a lot smoother than before. So re installed and did another actuator relearn. Drove it around the neighborhood and drivers side is now colder than passenger a lot more noticeable. Now fingers crossed this grease mess may be the fix as many have posted before. Grand total on actuator is 45 min with 20 min cleaning. Not too bad. Let’s hope she works all good. Will keep everyone posted. Thanks for the replies.

OP
OP
Bigkevschopshop

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Latest update...

Sunday trip out... 97 degrees..... blew nice and cold, wife said to turn it down, thats a first in a long time. So yesterday was the real test. 102 on the fwy on the way home... Cold enough I turned the blower down to #3 and it was comfortable in the truck for dang sure... I did notice it has a small hiccup in it every once in a while, but acts like compressor cycling when its cold so it seems that is it for now.... This morning it was cold with 80 degree outside, and not on recirc that I thought it was on recirc.... So looks like I need to probably rebuild the passenger actuator at some point... thats the one I am dreading but it is what it is...Right now since its me in the truck 80% the passenger will be ok... Will post one last update this friday if all goes well, if it goes back to hell then I will post up again...

AGAIN, thanks everyone for the responses..... Hopefully this helps someone else out with the same issues.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
depends-maybe, I bought mine from rockauto (new) when I installed it, it showed the outside ambient temp in the center of the display, seemed to work fine for the summer but when the weather changed and I needed heat in the back it would only blow hot if set to 89 or 90 anything less and it would blow cold, after a lot of troubleshooting I found out it was not the right firmware for my truck and it was looking for a rear sensor that my truck does not have, I had the dealer flash it to my vin and it's been all good since then, when they flashed it that outside ambient temp in the center went away, the temp of course was always still displayed in the cluster like normal, some of the trucks have it displayed in the rear view mirror. so my point is if you buy a replacement control unit after you install it make it sure it blows hot/warm/cold air in both front and back like it should otherwise it may need to be flashed to your vin.

Holy sentence, Wes!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts