AC Compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ARogg619

Reaction score
After exhausting most of my options on trying to get the AC to work in my 2000 Yukon, i think its time that i bite the bullet and change the compressor. I watched a few youtube videos. Doesnt seem TOO difficult but it doesnt look fun. Im pretty handy working on cars so do you think this is something i should attempt myself? I feel like a shop is gonna be crazy expensive for this and it just doesnt make sense to spend all that on a 2000 dollar truck. Also, when i look up compressors for this thing, theres a bunch of options, how do i know which one is for my truck? I have rear ac with controls on the headliner.

-Adam

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Check the RPO codes for the correct compressor. Replacing the compressor is not all you should/would be replacing. The accumulator, orifice(s) and at least flush the entire system. You want it to seal correctly and have the correct amount of oil in the system and need to check before you tear it down for any lines/hoses/seals leaking. If you have not done the work before, it is best left to a pro. If you have a $2000 rig and prices have come down on used rigs in your area, think about buying something else.

OP
OP
A

ARogg619

Reaction score
Check the RPO codes for the correct compressor. Replacing the compressor is not all you should/would be replacing. The accumulator, orifice(s) and at least flush the entire system. You want it to seal correctly and have the correct amount of oil in the system and need to check before you tear it down for any lines/hoses/seals leaking. If you have not done the work before, it is best left to a pro. If you have a $2000 rig and prices have come down on used rigs in your area, think about buying something else.
I appreciate the response. yes, its a 2000 dollar ride but its solid ( worth more, but got it from a neighbor who knew i needed something for work/winter besides my Camaros ). I also put a rear in it about a year ago. Im too far into this badboy to trade it out for something else.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Bought for $2000 but worth more. If it meets your needs, keep it. Depending on where you live, the temps should be coming down soon and you can save more and check on what it takes to do the work. Be aware of the rear a/c lines at the back of the right rear tire underneath. Several threads about leaks there, especially in salt roads areas.

OP
OP
A

ARogg619

Reaction score
Im in NY, yeah its starting to cool off but i got a bug up my a** about getting this working. I may put it off for now but figured id ask the forums

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The reason I say that is that I ran shops in KC, Mo. and when someone needed the a/c fixed, if it was close to fall and winter I would tell them that if they were on the fence about the cost of repair, they could wait till after fall/winter and fix the a/c then when they would get a full season's use out of it. I would also tell them that, God forbid, if they got in a wreck during the winter or had a major engine/trans failure and decided to get rid of the vehicle, they would not have wasted the a/c work $'s on that vehicle. Got lot's of return a/c work at the end of winter and start of spring.

Of course, if they insisted, I fixed the a/c in the middle of winter if they wanted me to.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After exhausting most of my options on trying to get the AC to work in my 2000 Yukon, i think its time that i bite the bullet and change the compressor. I watched a few youtube videos. Doesnt seem TOO difficult but it doesnt look fun. Im pretty handy working on cars so do you think this is something i should attempt myself? I feel like a shop is gonna be crazy expensive for this and it just doesnt make sense to spend all that on a 2000 dollar truck. Also, when i look up compressors for this thing, theres a bunch of options, how do i know which one is for my truck? I have rear ac with controls on the headliner.

-Adam
Pretty sure yours would be 15-21127 but check here to make sure:

It is SOP to replace the accumulator when you do the compressor so consider that. Do you have a manifold and vacuum pump?

OP
OP
A

ARogg619

Reaction score
The reason I say that is that I ran shops in KC, Mo. and when someone needed the a/c fixed, if it was close to fall and winter I would tell them that if they were on the fence about the cost of repair, they could wait till after fall/winter and fix the a/c then when they would get a full season's use out of it. I would also tell them that, God forbid, if they got in a wreck during the winter or had a major engine/trans failure and decided to get rid of the vehicle, they would not have wasted the a/c work $'s on that vehicle. Got lot's of return a/c work at the end of winter and start of spring.

Of course, if they insisted, I fixed the a/c in the middle of winter if they wanted me to.
Yeah, i mean thats a great way to explain it and its hard to find honest mechanics that would recommend something like that especially by me. Ive been through so many mechanics. I may just ride the rest of this season out and maybe get it looked at before next summer starts. I appreciate the words of wisdom!
Pretty sure yours would be 15-21127 but check here to make sure:

It is SOP to replace the accumulator when you do the compressor so consider that. Do you have a manifold and vacuum pump?
Thanks for the link! as far as the manifold and pump... no clue lol. I never messed with HVAC before. ive done full exhausts including headers, intake manifolds, shifters, coilovers, springs, as well as some body mods but never messed with HVAC stuff.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yeah, i mean thats a great way to explain it and its hard to find honest mechanics that would recommend something like that especially by me. Ive been through so many mechanics. I may just ride the rest of this season out and maybe get it looked at before next summer starts. I appreciate the words of wisdom!
Changing parts are one thing with a/c but knowing the info about the a/c oil and what readings mean on the gauges and vacuum readings that can indicate a leak and wet/oily spots at junctions of old parts that do indicate a leak and why some parts just need to be replaced or just a seal and flushing the system while open, something I always recommend, and to always be aware of the condenser functions....is exactly why you don't want to buy expensive parts and then guess at it.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the link! as far as the manifold and pump... no clue lol. I never messed with HVAC before. ive done full exhausts including headers, intake manifolds, shifters, coilovers, springs, as well as some body mods but never messed with HVAC stuff.
Well, anytime you open up the HVAC system moisture has been introduced into the system and that needs to be removed before you can introduce refrigerant again. So the manifold allows you to connect to the vacuum pump, evacuate the system and then re-charge the system with refrigerant.

It's not voodoo, just takes a little time to understand how it works, if I can do it, you can do it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCUSA