AC blows warm when stopped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not the original owner, so unsure of the fan clutch's life. It was well taken care of though. I'm already watching a bunch of videos, so I feel pretty confident checking the levels. Does anyone have a PSI chart for our trucks? Is the PSI the same whether you have the 5.3 or the 6.0?
Engine makes no difference. The pressure of refrigerant is directly related to its temp. If you store a tank of refrigerant outside in the hot sun, its pressure (of the tank) will shoot up. If you store the tank of refrigerant in a walk in freezer, its pressure will shoot down. That property is what makes it a refrigerant.

Attachments

• GM Factory tahoe AC Pressures.png
    GM Factory tahoe AC Pressures.png
    194.4 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
slypher25aussie

slypher25aussie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So these are the readings I was getting. I know that’s pretty high according to the chart. I let a little bit of pressure out on the low side to bring it down to about 40psi. A couple strange things happened. One, the high-pressure side started leaking like crazy from the quick connect coupling spewing Freon everywhere when I started to remove it so I kind of freaked out and quickly closed it to try and get it to stop. Second, the compressor wasn’t cycling on and off. It was just on constantly.

BF2AAEF0-6174-4130-B01D-5FDCBFF4863D.jpeg

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any thoughts?
Holy Smokes Batman! Are you in sitting out in the Desert in Iraq? That high side is HIGH! You have not mentioned a key piece of needed info.....Doesnt matter what those gauges show since that info means nothing ......WITHOUT the outside ambient air temperature reading when you measured the low and high side. If I had to guess...Id say your are way overcharged. But could also be a blockage in the system or a very dirty condenser coil. Stop dumping refrigerant into the system until you have valid readings that show you are low (If thats what you are doing).
When testing AC system and to get valid readings you need to run the A/C on Highest setting (in manual mode) and let it settle out for about 10 mins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645