Absolute throttle position

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jan Rehak

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello, I´m from Czech republic, so i am sorry for my english.

I bought Tahoe 2000 5.3 with rough idle, it seems like light misfires. So I changed spark plugs, wires, all 4 O2 sensors, cleaned throttle body and maf sensor, water temp sensor, fuel regulator, PCV valve, checked fuel pressure (57psi), checked vacuum leak with smoke test and spray, new air and fuel filter. But still no change, and no error codes…

No any smoke from exhaust. Short term fuel jump between -2% / +2%.

Idle at warm engine is around 570, but diagnostic show "ABSOLUTE THROTTLE POSITION - 0,0%", is it good or not?

Thank you for yours answers and opinions, Jan R.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Throttle at idle should be 0–does it rise when you apply throttle?
No check engine light/codes? Might try running some injector cleaner through it.

OP
OP
Jan Rehak

Jan Rehak

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Throttle at idle should be 0–does it rise when you apply throttle?
No check engine light/codes? Might try running some injector cleaner through it.

Yes it moves from 0% to 100% (full throttle).
no CHECK ENGINE LIGHT, no CODE

OP
OP
Jan Rehak

Jan Rehak

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I tested compression today :

#8 160psi. #7 169psi
#6 156psi. #5 160psi
#4 162psi. #3 148psi
#2 168psi. #1 148psi

Is 148psi too low, or is it still ok? Thank you

retiredsparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a little carbon on intake valves could cause the lower compression. The slight missing could also be caused by injectors not properly atomizing. You could watch internet videos on how to clean them with fuel injection cleaner. Youtube has multiple videos on an inexpensive method of doing this. It involves using the cleaner to pressurize the injector and then powering the injector to operate the solenoid. It will be obvious if an injector has an uneven spray pattern. Or you can take the injectors to a shop to have them tested/cleaned.

OP
OP
Jan Rehak

Jan Rehak

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for your response. I sent yesterday injectors for cleaning. If you disconnect the MAF while the engine is idling, do you see any change? nothing happens on my car.

Kraig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It runs off default data with the MAF disconnected—not ideal and it will trigger a fault code, but it should run without MAF input.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia