Absolute best tie rods? H2 upgrades won't work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shawn_S

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
01 Surb 2wd, 3/5 McGaughy's drop kit, Spohn rear links, 22" snowflakes....

I rebuilt the entire front end in March. Everything minus the center link and steering box. Haven't been happy since. I used decent stuff, some pricer MEVOTECH parts from Rockauto, and ac delco tie rods. Replaced pass inner tie rod a couple months ago, now the drvr side inner is leaking grease. The worst has been the sway bar links. They require constant tightening, otherwise they're popping under braking and turning. Last two days leaving work, I've gotten this weird steering shake, just like a death-wobble, but only at 30mph or so after hitting a bump.

So I'm going to redo everything that needs it. First step was going to be H2 upgrade tie rods, Fabtechs probably, and the Cognito Idler/Pitman braces. But not a single tie rod manufacture lists any 1500 vehicle. I think the center link/inner tie rod threads might be larger on the HD's/H2? Is that why?

Are they any specific upgrades for 1500 trucks? I can't find anything that isn't the same chinese looking parts.

1992rs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For BJ style tire rods, Rare parts or kryptonite hands down. I bought the rare parts and have zero complaints. Theres no comparison in strength to OEM. In hindsight, I would of went with the kryptonite’s if they were around at the time I bought the rare parts for the reasons that it’s double adjustable and the outer tie rod boot looks more sealed, but they’re very proud of those tie rods and the price reflects it. My boots simply slip on. I’ve always been suspect about that, but I’ve religiously re-greased it and checked for play and there’s been none for the 2 years since I’ve done the replacement. I’m damn near confident that kryptonite uses rare parts parts, because the inners look identical to mine and the outers look straight out of their builders series catalog, so quality is equal.

If you’re willing to put up with the draw backs that come with heim joints, there’s FFR tie rods. Heim’s have tighter tolerances than ball joints, so you’ll get a tighter alignment and more precise steering, but they’re more exposed to the elements and potentially could wear out faster. They make seals and covers to aid in helping them last longer. I’m going this route when my rare parts wear out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Shawn_S

Shawn_S

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. After some exhaustive research, it looks like only brands that make 1500/SUV overkill tie rods are Rare Parts and Kryptonite, so that was a bit lucky. I live on the Gulf, and always at the beach or boat ramp, so the sand and saltwater probably eliminate heim's for me.

If anyone knows other brands, or even something stock sized, just a more quality/better built version, I'd love to hear.

Ryan Buck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A quality heim will work fine no matter where you live. Shoot them with some wd40 every now and then and your good. Don’t let the higher prices scare you. A good set up will probaly last the rest of your truck vs. 10,000 miles like all the others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Run4st