Abs/traction control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A bluetooth OBD2 adapter (ELM327) (less than $20) and the app (free) I posted about earlier is really a super cheap way to look at BCM, ABS, SRS codes.

It is obviously no substitute, or comparison, for having a Tech2 but it isn't bad for the price.
Have you tried it with any success? It has been my experience that the bt adapters will not read gm abs/srs info, I have tried with various apps and 3 different supposed "genuine" elm adapters and none will read abs/srs, I just tried that app and get the same results, it will read the regular stuff but no srs, abs, tcm.

Screenshot_20200304-202150.png

OP
OP
T

Tatman48

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A bluetooth OBD2 adapter (ELM327) (less than $20) and the app (free) I posted about earlier is really a super cheap way to look at BCM, ABS, SRS codes.

It is obviously no substitute, or comparison, for having a Tech2 but it isn't bad for the price.
I have a Bluetooth adapter and I use the paid version of torque pro. I cannot see abs stuff.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Have you tried it with any success? It has been my experience that the bt adapters will not read gm abs/srs info, I have tried with various apps and 3 different supposed "genuine" elm adapters and none will read abs/srs, I just tried that app and get the same results, it will read the regular stuff but no srs, abs, tcm.

View attachment 241782

Well, I haven't tried it in a while (several months) because I don't have any issues with the truck at the moment.

But, yes, it did read ABS codes for me back then.

I was able to read them and clear them.

Are there any codes stored in the module for you to be able to read them?

Last edited:

kbuskill

Reaction score
I have a Bluetooth adapter and I use the paid version of torque pro. I cannot see abs stuff.

I have the paid version of Torque Pro as well and am aware that it doesn't read ABS codes, which is why I suggested the app that I did.

It's free, give it a try. What have you got to lose? It will either work like it did for me or maybe they have changed something in the app and it won't work, in which case I will stop recommending it.

Keep us posted.

OP
OP
T

Tatman48

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I haven't tried it in a while (several months) because I don't have any issues with the truck at the moment.

But, yes, it did read ABS codes for me back then.

I was able to read them and clear them.

Are there any codes stored in the module for you to be able to read them?
Nothing... The check engine light is not even on. And if light is on I can read codes with my torque. But if it isn't and code is set internally then it cannot. The guy at dealer told me that the way to know if there is an internal code is to turn the key to on position and not start it. All gauge lights will come on and go off after self check. But if the check engine light stays on then there is an internal code.

kbuskill

Reaction score
Nothing... The check engine light is not even on. And if light is on I can read codes with my torque. But if it isn't and code is set internally then it cannot. The guy at dealer told me that the way to know if there is an internal code is to turn the key to on position and not start it. All gauge lights will come on and go off after self check. But if the check engine light stays on then there is an internal code.

Well, all I can say is that a while back I was messing around pulling fuses for the ABS.

I was doing this because I have seen where a lot of guys with 4x4s complain about the traction control and stabilitrac keep reducing there power when they get stuck off roading and there solution was to pull the ABS fuse, which disables those systems, and it allows full power to be transmitted to the wheels.

Anyway after pulling the fuse and trying different things I decided to plug in the bluetooth adapter and check for any codes that may have set in the ABS module and sure enough it had set 2 or 3 codes.

There was no ABS, or any other, lights on the dash after reinstalling the ABS fuse but the codes were still stored in the module.

I cleared the codes and checked again, using the Chevrosys app, and they were gone.

I should also preface this by saying that my truck is a 2008... I can only assume that it works on all the GMT900 platform (07-14).

My 2 bits, YMMV.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tatman48

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, all I can say is that a while back I was messing around pulling fuses for the ABS.

I was doing this because I have seen where a lot of guys with 4x4s complain about the traction control and stabilitrac keep reducing there power when they get stuck off roading and there solution was to pull the ABS fuse, which disables those systems, and it allows full power to be transmitted to the wheels.

Anyway after pulling the fuse and trying different things I decided to plug in the bluetooth adapter and check for any codes that may have set in the ABS module and sure enough it had set 2 or 3 codes.

There was no ABS, or any other, lights on the dash after reinstalling the ABS fuse but the codes were still stored in the module.

I cleared the codes and checked again, using the Chevrosys app, and they were gone.

I should also preface this by saying that my truck is a 2008... I can only assume that it works on all the GMT900 platform (07-14).

My 2 bits, YMMV.
Much appreciated all the same. I purchased a different Bluetooth just now that supposedly came with a lifetime upgrade and can read abs codes. Torque obviously can't do it. It will be here tomorrow so we will see

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get the same results I get with the torque app, it tries to communicate with the abs/srs module gets to about 98% then craps out and fails to communicate, it shouldn't do that it should communicate and say no codes are present just like a wired scanner would. There is some other new fancy bluetooth tool out that is supposed to read abs/srs and a bunch of other stuff I contacted them to confirm and they replied saying the tool wont work for abs/srs with my truck via bluetooth either.

OP
OP
T

Tatman48

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get the same results I get with the torque app, it tries to communicate with the abs/srs module gets to about 98% then craps out and fails to communicate, it shouldn't do that it should communicate and say no codes are present just like a wired scanner would. There is some other new fancy bluetooth tool out that is supposed to read abs/srs and a bunch of other stuff I contacted them to confirm and they replied saying the tool wont work for abs/srs with my truck via bluetooth either.
The one I just got said that this one will ... So not sure