ABS & Traction Control activated for no reason.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Leatherneck1775

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Glad to be here and look forward to learning as much as possible about my vehicle. Thanks everyone.

2004 Yukon Denali came home with wife yesterday. Scraping noise from the front drivers side hub. Turns out that the hub nut need to be tightened. Not sure why but ok. The scraping continued to the end of the driveway and has not returned. After taking care of that, the ABS warning light and the Traction Control warning came on at the same time. When driving, the traction control comes on and will not allow more than 10-15 MPH. When braking, the antilock kicks in with pulsating braking. So braking is a problem, as is driving. Traction control button will allow greater speeds than 15-20mph, but not much. The only thing that changed was the tightening of the hub nut. so I am curious to know if possibly the hub ABS & Traction Control sensors were damaged with the loose hub assembly. I never did find the scraping part and think it might be internal to the hub.

Has anyone experienced any of this?

big_b_in_PA

Billy Badass
Reaction score
Sounds like the wheel bearings are bad and throwing the abs sensor out of whack. Check for any play in the bearings. Does it make any kind of noise from that wheel? If so replace the hub assembly and all should be good.

---------- Post added at 08:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:56 AM ----------

Sounds like the wheel bearings are bad and throwing the abs sensor out of whack. Check for any play in the bearings. Does it make any kind of noise from that wheel? If so replace the hub assembly and all should be good.

Edit: I know it made noise to the end of your driveway, but if you listen while driving, does it make noise when turning to the left or right?

ludvball

Reaction score
If the hub nut was loose, then it is possible the rotor was rubbing against the brake shield. As far as the ABS and Traction Control light coming on, I am having the same problem. Mine started out as just the lights coming on and loosing power. If i selected the stability button disable, then I would regain power. After about a week or two of this, i started getting the brake pulse when below 15 miles per hour. Occasionally I get a pull to the left at low speed.

The drivers side hub assembly had been replaced about a year ago. I just replaced the passenger side hub (it was in pretty bad shape), and it came with a new sensor. I also replaced the driver side sensor at the same time. The lights never went away, but the pulse and loss of power didn't happen again for about a week. Now all of the symptoms are happening again.

I just pulled the ABS fuse, and plan to clean the ground under the drivers door. I will replace the fuse and see if that resolves my problem. If not, I am going to have the EBCM module repaired. That seems to be the next step. Beyond that, I am at a loss.

Also, I have a 2" spindle drop and 3" drop in the rear, with air ride removed. I rear in one of the many threads i have seen that many with the drops get the lights, and just ignore them.

Last edited:

bjbrath

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
traction control and anti-lock brakes come on

My 05 Yukon is doing something similar, the traction control comes on when accelerating from every stop, I can press the traction control button to turn it off and then I can drive it more than 10mph. But even with the traction control disabled, the anti locks come on every time I stop the truck. I've replaced both front wheel speed sensors and checked the resistance of the speed sensor in the transfer case comparing it with a new one, and they were the same resistance. I've talked with a couple of my mechanic friends and they told me to make sure the surfaces that the front wheel speed sensors mount to are very clean, they said even a little bit of rust can throw them off. I've cleaned them but the problem persists. I'm going to check the wheel bearings, but I can't hear anything that would make them seem like they need to be replaced. Please let me know if anyone has found a fix for issues like this, and when I figure it out, I'll do the same. Thx, BJB

geddy2112

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had this problem that made me go bonkers for months. Lucky my Yukon was not my DD. I replaced and did everything i could to the ABS sensor to try and eliminate the problem. Finally, i decided to replace the whole hub assemble. Bought the Timken hub assemble from Rockauto, replaced it. The problem solved. No matter how much you clean the sensor or the hub of rust, it will not cure the problem. Replace the hub and save yourself the headache. I had no signs of bearing wear either.

Hacker-Pschorr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2003 Denali is doing something very similar.

Taking off from a stop the traction message will come on and my truck will not accelerate. If I wait a second or two everything will be back to normal. If I turn off the system, no issues at all.

This only happens maybe once per week (if that often) when driving the Yukon every day.

This is so infrequent it’s hard to diagnose. Would only the front sensor be in play here? I’m assuming there are also speed sensors at the back.

tx01tahoe

Reaction score
My traction control light doesn't turn on but my parking brake and ABS light turn on randomly. I already had it tested and it is my brake module. I've been meaning to pop it off and send it in to module master to have them rebuild it. I am not sure if that is the problem you all are having on the Denalis but figured of share.

cowboyzr2

Reaction score
I had a very similar problem with my ZR2. All the same symptoms without traction control (not an option).
I've replaced my front hubs a couple of times... The last time I changed one, my ABS starting acting up - coming on randomly. What I didn't think about was I used the OLD ABS sensor and not the one that came with the hub.
I drove it for a year with the ABS fuse removed until I replaced the hub assembly again. This time, I used the ABS sensor that came with the new hub. Problem solved.
Turns out a few people on the ZR2 forum had the same problem - and it looks like at times ABS sensors are sensitive to the hubs they are paired with... No idea why. So far it's happened to me twice.

yukon05

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the EXACT same problem with my 05 yukon xl, and only when accelerating from a complete stop. Replaced both front hubs, and all has been well since.

Hokie.1996

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2004 Tahoe

My '04 Tahoe makes a humming sound from the front wheel area, but only at low speed excessive turns, like turning sharp out of a parking spot. it is the same sound that happens when the traction control and ABS kickin on ice. Could my bearing be warn enough to throw the sensor out of proper alignment, and the excessive turn radius amplify the effect? i was considering buying the TIMKEN hub assy with new sensor from rock auto? Please Help

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts