About to replace Inner and Outer Tie Rod Ends - Any Suggestions to make it easier?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04whitetahoe

TYF PLUS!(tm)
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi There,

I'm about to get new rims and tires, and I was told during an inspection that my tie rod grease seals are shot, so I figured this is a good time to replace the tie rod ends and have my Tahoe aligned (once I have my new rims/tires).

So I bought the parts and the pickle fork.

innerouter.jpg

IMGP0936.jpg

Any input from those experienced in doing the tie rod ends appreciated. I have done other vehicles tie rod ends myself before, but not on this platform. If there's some trick or something I should watch out for, I would appreciate a response.

Thanks, Joe

:untitled:

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are pretty straight forward, more so than a lot of the other vehicles I've owned.

Only suggestion is take the old ones off as one piece so you know the length of what the new assembly should be to make it a better drive to the alignment shop.

Rangel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About to replace Inner and Outer Tie Rod Ends - Any Suggestions to make it ea...

I'll be doing this soon. Just placed a $500 order with rock auto.

z0lt3c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would do the pitman arm, idler arm and idler arm pivot, at the same time as the inner and out tie rods. There is alot of overlap in labor with this job and easily to just get it aligned once.

OP
OP
04whitetahoe

04whitetahoe

TYF PLUS!(tm)
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions!!

They are pretty straight forward, more so than a lot of the other vehicles I've owned.

Only suggestion is take the old ones off as one piece so you know the length of what the new assembly should be to make it a better drive to the alignment shop.

Thanks - Good suggestion - that's what I'm going to do!

make sure you put some thread lock on the inner joints threads.

Another good one. I'll do this too. Thanks

I'll be doing this soon. Just placed a $500 order with rock auto.

OK! Brothers in front ends! Let me know how it goes.

I would do the pitman arm, idler arm and idler arm pivot, at the same time as the inner and out tie rods. There is alot of overlap in labor with this job and easily to just get it aligned once.

I agree and had them all ordered, but backed off. I had a reality check with the $$ and my labor, so plan to do those items at a later date. Good suggestion.

Thanks to you all!! Joe :boti:

alc5m

Full Access Member
Reaction score
first off, chive on rangel

but to the topic at hand, why did you buy the pickle fork? i've never had a problem popping tie rod ends out of the spindle with a hammer, lol, a couple quick whacks on the threads and it pops right out, and since the inner tie rod is a different set up than the mating angles like the outer i'm not sure that you really need that, but thats just what i've always done

its a real straight forward process, i assume you bought new sleeves for the ends?

makes it way easier to thread the new ones

also dont do this at 3 am after a few beers and a day of work under your belt, its possible you may forget that the inner tie rod is left hand thread... lol, may have done that once or twice

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
I used pickle fork on a Honda no problems. Some are harder then others wacked it with my mallet and no good so had to use the fork

OP
OP
04whitetahoe

04whitetahoe

TYF PLUS!(tm)
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input!

I would do the pitman arm.........

I’m now taking your advice and waiting until I have gathered all of my front end parts. I’m going to lower the beast and I might just get my spindles too before I proceed. Just bought new tires, so found a $49.00 4-wheel alignment so will do that and not be rushed to upgrade suspension parts.

1. first off, chive on rangel

2. why did you buy the pickle fork?

3. i assume you bought new sleeves for the ends?

1. Chive on?............I AGREE:

chives.jpg

2. Pickle fork: Because after I’m done with the job, I’m having some friends over for lunch and I hate when they reach in with their dirty hands and taint the rest of the pickles when they grab theirs out.

picklefork.jpg

3. Sleeves:

Thanks for this tip if used in this application.

I bought the inners and outers and I didn't realize it would be a good idea to replace the sleeves.

NOT SURE IF THIS APPLIES TO MY 2004, checking now.

alc5m - With all of this talk about chives and pickles, you're making me hungry!! LOL

I used pickle fork ......so had to use the fork

Same here - -That's why I bought it!

:cheers:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667

Latest posts