A year with my Tahoe..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ThwopKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well next month it will be one calender year with my 03 Tahoe, heres my view of it.

I do like it...it it rides nice isnt horrible one gas considering some of he other vehicles ive owned, 475hp F150 lighthing, over 7 mustang gt's,a lifted jeep ,two broncos and about 5-7 other vehicles.Its got great room and im glad i dont have the third row..I dont need it. It makes good power and handles pretty well for what it is. With my current tires and stock ride height 10in of snow was not a problem. Its pretty easy on tires and not bad on brakes so far....but at 68k miles i believe the rears are ready for repalcement but they are the originals so i cant complain. Ive put 20k miles on this thing in the year ive had it lol.

The seats are pretty comfy as is the rest of the interior..although i ahve really sat in the back. I havent towed with it and dont even have a trailer hitch..its on my list of things to do. The a/c and heat work pretty good as does the rear heat and a/c. i do love the sunroof as well. The 5.3 isnt a bad engine...wish it made a touch more trq down low but its ok.The auto 4wd works well and i like being able to run 2wd hi...one reason i turned down a few chances at a Escalade.

The things i dont like....
I hate the OEM trans programming. Its pretty reluctant to downshift on the hilly terrain down here. It feels like you gotta floor it to get it to kick down a gear. I know a turner will take care of that so thats one the list of to do's.
I do wish it sat a bit higher...one thing i did love about expeditions. But a CCM kit is in my future. i know its trivial but i hate how when you hit the winshield washer water/cleaner runs down the passenger window and if its even slightly open the driver gets wet. But its not a big deal.
I do wish there was a lock\unlock button inside the vehicle back near the cargo area....yeah i know thats what the key fob is for but hey im just listing things lol
I didnt like the stock steps at first but they are growing on me.Why do the damn fog light lens keep falling off? I know 4 people this has happened to and seems pretty common as you all know. Also it seems to be slightly hesistating when cold...time for plugs or dare i say a fuel pump..
Im still dealing with the possible body control module fritz. The seat heaters seems to work at tinmes..and my drivers power seat controls work backwards.
Letting the ecu reset by unhooking the battery didnt help. Its not a huge issue so i havent gotten it looked at yet. Also my 3rd brake light seems to have stopped working...may be related to body control module.
if i keep my two 15in subs i see a good bit of sound deadening in my future...but thats all on me..not a fault of the truck.

This is honestly my first gm product since a 79 corvette back in the early 90's. I have been a ford fan all my life but i also look at vehicles closely when im buying for myself or helping family\friends. the tahoe is a better vehicle than the expedition and im glad i chose it. I see it being around in my driveway for a long long time.

Gordy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 01 has a lock button on the passenger side in the cargo area. Good to see a ford man come to the GM side.

DaRosa218

The Dude abides
Reaction score
My 01 has a lock button on the passenger side in the cargo area. Good to see a ford man come to the GM side.

Same here with the lock button in the trunk. I also have a Hypertech 87 Octane Tune with shift firmness and did wonders on the down-shifting as well as shifts points with the transmission.

Z-56 Hoe

What do I do????
Reaction score
as does Mine ( lock / unlock ) upgrade your torque converter/ and stall in it. get a shift kit, vett servo or billet servo, and a tune, LT headers and since you have a 5.3L get the 4.8L heads and have them ported and polished. ( they flow better smaller chambers) also while you have the heads off Do a Cam!

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad that you like the Tahoe man :Handshake: I've been a GM fan all my life. Nothing really against Ford (other than friendly ribbing to my friends about it) but I've always just like the GM products better at least on the truck/suv side of the spectrum. I've always had good luck with them and have lasted forever when maintained properly.

OP
OP
ThwopKing

ThwopKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as does Mine ( lock / unlock ) upgrade your torque converter/ and stall in it. get a shift kit, vett servo or billet servo, and a tune, LT headers and since you have a 5.3L get the 4.8L heads and have them ported and polished. ( they flow better smaller chambers) also while you have the heads off Do a Cam!

I considered some of those...the trans is staying stock unless it breaks...even then it would just get "updated". Not touching the ehads..no need to lol and if i did it would get afr's or trick flows. Also NOT doing a cam lol..not trying to go fast with the truck....thats what the mustang is for or i would just pick up another cheap foxbody. I will be adding a tune later..more than likely a SCT tuner. I know everyone here loves blackbear but last time i checked he wasnt doing handheld tuners...and at 300 bucks im sure the sct is more sutied for what i want to spend and will do all i need it to. I used to be a SCT dealer...so im kind of a fan.

Odd everyone has a lock button BUT me lol. But then again my truck is kind of an oddity. Im thinking it was a special dealer ordered item. Every option but tow hitch,3rd(if it was offered in 03) and the z71 package....1 of 1 for 2003.

Reaction score
ive had two 05 ford rangers, an 05 f150, 01 nissan frontier, 91 toyota pickup and a 2010 vw gti. rangers were bought brand new, the 150 was bought 2 years used. i liked my rangers, i loved my f150, hated the vw and the mini trucks were projects. all were tuned and modified, and great vehicles. needless to say, im a ford truck man all the way. times got rough, had to sell the f150, saddest day of my life.

i picked up an 01 tahoe in november of 2010. it had 130k miles, black, barn doors with NO 3rd row rails, 2wd 5.3. leather and thats it. i did a few mods here and there, swiss cheese mod, HIDs, 24" kmc monsters, leveling coils in the rear, exhaust and a couple other little things. my biggest regret? not buying a tahoe in the first place! i absoloutly love my chevy, its a beast! the room, comfort, power is pirely amazing. i picked it up for $8,000 and its the best vehicle ive owned. i love this more than anything ive had. friends of mine have range rovers escalades and mercedes suvs. i love my tahoe more than anthing else, well except the escalade lol. financially, it was the best decision ive made. im 22 years old, worked my ass off for what ive had, i love my tahoe and now ill own none other than a gm truck or suv. thats my 2 cents

OP
OP
ThwopKing

ThwopKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 99 B4000 that had a few issues...but nothing warranty/tsb's didnt fix..i put 43k miles on it in just over one year lol. But for me there were enought hings about 03 and up expy's that i DIDNT like vs enough things about Tahoes i did like. I couldnt find a 02 Expy with low miles and not beat to hell around here. The 03 sit to low...dont ahve a limited slip option of any sort..huge mistake by ford if you ask me and the 5.4 needed updates. Yers my tahoe sits low but its easier to lift than a expy. The IRS wasnt really a plus for me...sure it rode better but the solid axle ride just fine too. All in all im happy with it. It will serve as a good family vehicle. Im getting married again in July and we have a little one on the way...so maybe the wife will take it over and ill take her mustang lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miccey1