A few miscellaneous questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

foxtrot moon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Backstory:
2001 Tahoe 2WD

A few years ago I installed a 3/5 McGaughy's lowering kit. Install went fine and dandy. Two years ago I got a set of 22x9 TBSS wheels that are wrapped with 285/45/22, LOVE em. When I put the wheels on the truck, they rubbed the front fender liners pretty dang good, so I ended up reinstalling the factory torsion keys to level the front out with the rear. I also did the free travel mod on the rear. So here are where my questions arise:

1. Should I still have the rubber isolators on the rear springs? I'd like to drop the Tahoe a bit more and am wondering if this will let that happen?

2. Best way to 'adjust' front fender liners if/when I drop it a bit more? I know people use a heat gun but I can't find a good source or DIY how-to. (I haven't searched that deep yet)

3. I feel like I've seen a thread in the past about people replacing the rear McGaughy springs with something softer, it's super bumpy in the rear and just uncomfortable for passengers. I feel like something is going to break. I don't want pillow soft, but something with a little give would be nice. It's just a daily driver. What's the best shock/spring combo to get things a bit softer back there?

This is a picture from the day I installed the 22 so you can see where it's sitting on the rear and how the front gap is now. I haven't measured in a while, but when I was doing the keys and such, I believe I took the rear LH and RH measurements and attempted to get the front to the same height. Just trying to avoid the fender liners being ripped out (the driver side actually came out, need to put it back in)

Thank you,

J18767696_10100789465322655_2846562742351274252_n.jpg 18893234_10100788934341745_5101995066651257006_n.jpg

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Backstory:
2001 Tahoe 2WD

A few years ago I installed a 3/5 McGaughy's lowering kit. Install went fine and dandy. Two years ago I got a set of 22x9 TBSS wheels that are wrapped with 285/45/22, LOVE em. When I put the wheels on the truck, they rubbed the front fender liners pretty dang good, so I ended up reinstalling the factory torsion keys to level the front out with the rear. I also did the free travel mod on the rear. So here are where my questions arise:

1. Should I still have the rubber isolators on the rear springs? I'd like to drop the Tahoe a bit more and am wondering if this will let that happen?

2. Best way to 'adjust' front fender liners if/when I drop it a bit more? I know people use a heat gun but I can't find a good source or DIY how-to. (I haven't searched that deep yet)

3. I feel like I've seen a thread in the past about people replacing the rear McGaughy springs with something softer, it's super bumpy in the rear and just uncomfortable for passengers. I feel like something is going to break. I don't want pillow soft, but something with a little give would be nice. It's just a daily driver. What's the best shock/spring combo to get things a bit softer back there?

This is a picture from the day I installed the 22 so you can see where it's sitting on the rear and how the front gap is now. I haven't measured in a while, but when I was doing the keys and such, I believe I took the rear LH and RH measurements and attempted to get the front to the same height. Just trying to avoid the fender liners being ripped out (the driver side actually came out, need to put it back in)

Thank you,

JView attachment 224152 View attachment 224153
I've got nothing to add, but I love the TBSS rims. Good choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts