A/C Compressor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bass1775

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Turned on the A/C the other day clutch engaged and then quit. Usually means the refrigerant was low. I attempted to recharge it today and the unit would not come on at all so, it would not accept the refrigerant. How can I recharge if the unit will not turn on. Any ideas or thoughts? I plan to check electrical connectors next, I disconnected them recently to move the wire harness out of the way doing another repair. It's 24 degrees now and it's dark. I'll trouble shoot further another day. Just wanted to know if anyone had any ideas.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
hot wire clutch to volt source is the easiest way. but do just a bit and recheck to see that normal operation of compressor is restored to finish it off. and do this when temp outside is at its highest preferably.

OP
OP
bass1775

bass1775

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks sunlitcomet, please elaborate. How would you hotwire it? Oh and the temp is 18 degrees now. The projected high is only 26 degrees today.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
uh yeah that is to low to do it then will just do more damage. any chance you can get it in a heated garage opening to where there is plenty of ventilation but heaters can get the engine compartment and cab warm on its own?

OP
OP
bass1775

bass1775

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll check around. What is the procedure to hot wire it? The temp here is supposed to come up to 59 degrees in a few days.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
find the low pressure cu-off switch. it may be on the compressor or the the accumulator. it will have a black/white wire and a dark green one. remove the connector and short the terminals together. do it only enough to get sufficient freon in there and plug it back in to let the pcm have control again and finish off that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xay2Smoove