99 Yukon Replacement Rims and Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ss444

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm thinking of replacing my LT265/75/R16 tires and rims with something larger. Maybe 17" or 18" rims. Can I do this without any suspension changes?
What rim size and tires are you running, and what would you recommend?
I sometimes go out on the beach fishing, and drive upstate logging roads.
Thanks,
ss444

dkknaebel

Keeping LKQ in business
Reaction score
Hi All,
I'm thinking of replacing my LT265/75/R16 tires and rims with something larger. Maybe 17" or 18" rims. Can I do this without any suspension changes?
Thanks,
ss444

I have 18" takeoffs from a 2014 Yukon. I think everything is stock.

liquify33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
Thanks,
ss444
As long as you keep the total rolling diameter (wheel + tire) about the same, suspension should not be an issue. The closer you stay to stock the closer the speedometer and computer will be (but this can be adjusted easily with a programmer).

there are calculators online where you put tire size in and it does the math.

https://www.discounttire.com/learn/tire-size-calculator?ef_id=Xp2gFgAAAXE@t7DH:20200420131358:s

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im running a 265 70 17 on my 97. haven't sold it yet. ive only had one situation where it impacted a bit. the rims i chose push the setup out a bit further for a more aggressive look. i misjudged a dip in the road vs my speed ALOT. the wheel tire came up far enough and touched the inner edge of my fender. it did tweek the wheel arch trim a bit but unless you dont plan on catching any sweet air you could easily go a bit bigger on the tires.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I had my 1997 Yukon, I believe that I ran a 275/70x16 tire on OEM rims with no issue.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
besides rim diameter doesn't mean alot besides changing the ride quality if you go to big. too big and the tires will have a smaller sidewall on your tire so the ride will feel harsher. your other concern is your offset farther out and you risk the tire touching the fender on large bumps. farther in and you will risk rubbing and looking wierd. tire rack is nice for rim and tire size combo suggestions but i still buy everything from discount tire. also discount tire doesn't list specs vs stock but if you call them they will gladly help you out.

B-Fox

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi All,
Thanks,
ss444[/QUOTE

With the advice of some good folks here I just got my 1999 tahoe with factory stock suspension, some "18 rims and tires 275/65/18. They came from a 2015 silverado. Fits perfectly and no rub, adds a little more height. Maybe an inch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kwells