2022 Bronco 17" Rims on 2018 Tahoe (20" Rims)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

norcalroots

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello,

I recently purchased a 2018 Chevy Tahoe used. The tires need replacing so I searched Craigslist and found a tire shop advertising 2022 Bronco rims (285/70 R17) with BF Goodrich KO2s. The advertisement stated that the wheels/tires would fit a Tahoe.

At $1,600 for take-off wheels and tires (basically new), I figured the savings was worth looking into whether this would work without rubbing and what drawbacks, if any, going from a 20" rim to a 17" rim would cause.

I currently have 20" OEM rims with 275/55 R20 tires on there. The spare tire for my Tahoe is a 17" rim so I'm thinking that the 17" rim fof the Bronco will fit. The offset for the Bronco is 37MM and the offset (as far as I can tell) for the Tahoe 20" rim is 27MM. The 10MM difference in offset is roughly 1/2".

Bolt Pattern: Both the wheels for the 2018 Tahoe and the 2022 Bronco are identical; 6 x 5.5.

So my questions are....

1. Will the Bronco 2022 285/70 R17 rub on my 2018 Tahoe?
2. Will the rim actually fit and have no issues with the braking calipers?
3. Will reducing from 20" rim to a 17" rim negatively impact towing handling for our Tahoe?

Thanks in advance for any info (first hand or otherwise),

Brian

Last edited:

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will need to know the bolt pattern on the bronco wheels. The bolt pattern on your tahoe’s wheels will be a 6x5.5” bolt pattern. Verify if that is the same on the bronco wheels.

As far as rubbing goes, if the overall circumference of the wheel and tire setup on your Tahoe and the overall circumference of the bronco wheel and tire setup is the same or nearly the same then you won’t have any rubbing. If the bronco wheel and tire over all circumference is bigger by more than a small margain, than you’re likely to run into rubbing issues. But that’s not always certain. You need to get those measurements.

As far as towing stability you shouldn’t run into any negative affects going to a smaller wheel and larger tire setup.

shekmark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even if the bolt pattern is ok, 10mm inboard more sounds like a lot and I am going to say no go. If it fits it would be real close and the look might be off a bit as well being inboard another half inch ( almost half) . I would keep looking for some take offs from another forum member , Marketplace or EBay. Or get some hub centric wheel spacers of 10-20 mm

OP
OP
N

norcalroots

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You will need to know the bolt pattern on the bronco wheels. The bolt pattern on your tahoe’s wheels will be a 6x5.5” bolt pattern. Verify if that is the same on the bronco wheels.

As far as rubbing goes, if the overall circumference of the wheel and tire setup on your Tahoe and the overall circumference of the bronco wheel and tire setup is the same or nearly the same then you won’t have any rubbing. If the bronco wheel and tire over all circumference is bigger by more than a small margain, than you’re likely to run into rubbing issues. But that’s not always certain. You need to get those measurements.

As far as towing stability you shouldn’t run into any negative affects going to a smaller wheel and larger tire setup.
Both vehicles have the identical bolt patterns; 6 x 5.5.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Regarding wheel/tire combinations that will fit your truck without rubbing, no 2 trucks and their suspensions are exactly alike, due to a number of factors including accumulated wear on the suspension components and different wheel widths and offsets, so there is no guarantee that what fits with no rubbing on one truck will automatically fit with no rubbing on your truck. Other folks' experiences can guide you in one direction or another, but the final test will be when you mount the wheel/tire combination on your own truck.

To assist you in getting a good idea on whether or not specific alternate wheel/tire combinations 'may' fit your truck with no rubbing, I recommend that you use the wheel/tire comparison app at the URL listed below. You can use this app starting with your existing wheel/tire combination as a benchmark, assuming that there are currently no rubbing issues with it, and measure the actual critical fender and suspension component clearances as directed by this app. Then, you can enter alternate wheel/tire combinations, and this app will give you the projected changes in these critical fender and suspension component clearances.

https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/

I used this app for determining whether on not I could use my current alternate wheel/tire combination, and it accurately projected the changes in critical clearances. Again, the use of this app in not an absolute guarantee that an alternate wheel/tire combination will fit without rubbing, but it provides a much better assessment, or projection, than simply an educated guess on your part, or a statement from others that it worked on a truck other than yours.

mb1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I understand correctly you only need new tires, here are a couple of points to consider.

Bronco wheels on your Chevy Tahoe will devalue the vehicle for resale, trade in, etc. You’ve got the mid year programming change so might have 315MHZ TPMS or 433TPMS like the new ones. Ford should be 315 but unsure if it will work on the Chevy, if not you will have to pay to have the sensors removed from your current wheels, installed on the new set, then rebalanced. Or buy a new set to save on the removal but price at a shop will probably be similar.

As far as fitment, Tahoe hub bore is 78.1 vs 93.1 Bronco. Most Bronco wheels are +55mm offset x 8” wide. This will certainty cause issues with caliper and other component clearances, as well as tire rubbing issues with a tire that is a little wider and taller than the one you’re replacing. If you found a 8.5” wide +30 that would be more doable, but still likely to have issues.

Finally as far as safety is concerned you would need to check the weight rating on those Bronco rims and tires. Max GCWR on a non raptor Bronco is less than 9,000, minimum for a Tahoe is 12,000. I doubt the Bronco rims are rated for what your OEM equipment is rated for, potentially causing a very dangerous failure point if the vehicle is ever used at the upper end of its towing/hauling capabilities.

For $1600 you should be able to get factory size K02’s on your factory rims out the door and avoid all of the hassle...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
16yukon