99 Tahoe 450HP 430FTLBS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Well Even with stock tires and a Rebuilt, "updated unit" I didn't have any luck with them. when this one decides to crap out I will be buying a 4L80E

done something has to be wrong with your setup or driving to break them all the time. how does it break each time and what does fluid look like when broke and what gearing are you using? also you sure you dont have partially clogged coolers. you do have an extra one correct?

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4L60 is a JOKE of a trans. its a giant pile of shit. S10s Break them!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!
I watch them break almost EVERY weekend at the track.
They break more than imports on the track do.

We have a saying for even the FULLY built 4L60 behind any kind of power, such as 1 HP /1# TQ.
They are hand grenades with the pin pulled, its just a matter of time before it explodes.
Rebuild it twice IF possible and you can buy the trans listed below ONCE and not blow it up.

You want a lighter than 4L80, get a built turbo 400 with a gear vendors OD unit.
You really gotta do something extreme to break it.
4L80 is tough as nails trans, its just REALLY heavy and has shit gear ratios.

Take advice from PPl who have Blown them up and have gone through the hell of swapping them many many many times, who finally went to the above trans.

Last edited:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
if they are that bad then it sounds like the people who still used them did not know what they were doing in the first place if they keep breaking them up. i think it would be best to determine what norton decides engine and driving application wise before deciding to degrade the performance and reliability of a tranny that has been around for many years and by now has likely sold at least 1 million units since its introduction. besides i dont recall norton stating yet that he intends to drag race it which means no one should assume that that is what his needs are and based on "people" it automatically becomes a bad idea to use one.

OP
OP
N

Norton

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
no it is not a drag truck will be for show and little play sand dunes mudd boggs

xanatost

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I rebuilt mine for off road use and rock crawling. Going on 3 years and not a problem and that is me not being to nice at times off road. For about 400 in better parts and doing all the work my self I like my trany. Been the most reliable truck i ever owned. Who ever you got rebuilding your transmission I would go to someone else or just do it your self. Its not that hard to do. That was one of the main reasons why I got mine. Only paid 1000 for the truck and had to rebuild the transmission.

And that is hauling a militery trailer behind her as a base camp

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019