97 Yukon Wandering/Possibly Needs Balance Bar

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LiftedOn3s

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok so I've got a 97 Yukon with a 6" lift. I bought it already lifted but have had problems since day one with it wandering uncontrollably. I thought maybe it just needed an alignment, but even after the alignment it is still wandering/wobbling/shaking. I went to Pep Boys and they told me I possibly need a balancing bar but I cannot find that part anywhere. Any suggestions/advice would be great

purple 'hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Verify that your steering components are tight, and not worn or loose. Jack both front tires off the ground, and shake them side to side and up and down. If anything feels loose, start by replacing that. Also, have your wheels/tires balanced.

No shop should have done an alignment without telling your first that you have loose or worn steering components. And if it was still pulling after the alignment, they need to fix their mistakes

Also, wtf is a balancing bar? Did they mean a sway bar?

McFizzl

Broke as a Joke.
Reaction score
how are your shocks looking? mine sways a little due to bad shocks. it tends to be more of a bouncing effect for me. mine isnt lifted but it is a 4wd Z71

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Possible corrections Are Shocks,sway bar , ball joints

slipping

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When mine was lifted (99 2wd) my shocks were horrible and swayed and wobbled, rocked like a boat on a lake. Doesn't have a sway bar in the rear (don't know if its supposed to)

the big blue bus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
id lift the front end and chekc it all over. the big wheels you have will wear out the ball joints and other front end components a lot faster than stock sized tires. mine right now has 33s and crank and it pulls like a sob

OP
OP
LiftedOn3s

LiftedOn3s

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Correction they did mean sway bar. They said it had too much give but that it could also be the shocks. I had the pitman arm on the driver side fixed about 2 months ago. I'm wondering if I should go ahead and replace the shocks when I get the sway bar fixed because it has gotten so bad I can't even drive my baby without looking like a drunk driver. LOL

RedCrush

Full Access Member
Reaction score
drunk driving is what i like to do, I like drunk driving with you...---Sublime :rotflmao:

_Dylan_

STAY FROSTY
Reaction score
I don't see drop brackets for a 6" lift on your truck.

Is it a real 6" lift or a body lift and cranked torsion bars? I suspect the torsion bars are cranked too much and it makes it ride bad.

Have someone look at the steering while you turn the wheels back and forth. If parts are worn out the linkages will be moving a little bit before the tires begin moving.

Also, you can jack up the front tires one at a time and push/pull on the wheels and check for slop in the steering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401