96' Hoe' Hualing Heavy.......

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Busted Knuckles
Reaction score
Just my own opinion I think this is wildy unsafe and I think you should look up the specs on your hoe and find out whats safe to be rolling down the freeway , just by hearing the size of that travel trailer being 42t you are way over the GVWRon that truck just my own thoughts any one agree

You may have misunderstood about the trailer it's 38-42 ft. long . I don't have weight specs , depends on slide-outs . Possibly 7 ton ?
I've restored classic cars for about 25 years . Boxed frames etc . These jobs were all frame-offs or ground-ups . Welding ,plating ,gusseting etc. was all part of it . Other than all the electrical ,A/C,fuel lines , brake lines being a P.I.T.A. lifting a a body is not that hard as long as you kinda know what to expect far as clearences and blocking .

newmarketeod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can tell you first hand, towing my 16' car trailer with my jeep loaded on (Approx 7400 lbs) you will not enjoy it.
I have a 1998 Tahoe 4 door on LT285s and 3.73 gears. Truck sits about 3 inches above stock in the front and 2 in the rear. Has true dual exhaust, K and N intake, Blackbear tune and HUGE trans cooler (the biggest that summit sells). The truck is okay powerwise for that load, although at any speed over 65 I went from 10 MPGs to 6-7 MPGs. The big issue is the small size of the truck. The Tahoe is a very short vehicle and could easily be pushed around by a large trailer, especially the length you are talking. It is not too bad in normal driving conditions but in an emergency, especially on the freeway, the massive size of your trailer to the small size of your Tahoe could make for a bad day.

OP
OP
Busted Knuckles
Reaction score
Haulin Heavy **'

Thanks for the Heads-Up ! I've been working on the **' hard as well as packing for the first trip back to Nevada . I'll be going over my mosted hated route- I-40 out to Kingman to I-15 then up thru Vegas and I-95 (Going I-70/I-80 is too far north north this time of year) .
I worked Saturday on it for 13 hours straight . fixed several exhaust leaks , put on a "Painless" headlight converter (I like to drive at night), new heater motor/wiring, Helwig Overload Springs . I have to install the B/M trans controller. and the electronic brake control unit . I'm sure I'll have a few more things to do to the **' before I'm satisfied it's ready . I've wrapped up another $1500.00 in all of this .
I picked up a set of 265/75-16 Goodyear Wrangler Authority 10 plys 2weeks ago . They're nice tires and getting them from Wally-World I'll have a nation wide warranty .
As far as the trailer, I've redecked it with pressure treated 2"x10"'s then bolted them down to the cross beams before/after the axles , also rewired it for about the 3-4 time (keep snagging the wires on brush etc) . Got the electric brakes working but not yet wired to the Pig-Tail .
I also got a Curt Trunnion style load equalizer and a Curt anti-sway unit . Winds out in the desert are vicious .
I dunno if you've ever made a trip out there but it can be a ***** even in good weather .Flagstaff,AZ. is going to be tricky (it's 6900' alt.) and one helluva drop coming out . I've got 2 sets of chains for the **' and I think a set for the trailer . The new cross-over at Hoover Dam just opened So I won't have to fight that monster of switchbcks and the drop/climb out of it .
I'll have a gas air compressor / and tools set at the door of the trailer just in case I run into "Murphy's Law" This about the 6th. trip in 12 years on I-40 and it's a rough POS of a hi-way , but staying south is good bet on traveling in better weather . So , I figure a bit of "over-kill" on the suspension etc. is worth it .
Right now I'm ripping about 300 CD's and getting a 32GB. USB flash drive for my stereo . Can't handle a run like that without Tunes and Coffee !
Can't wait !!!!!!!! Gettin' back to all that BLM Land to 4-wheel on back there is going to be great !!!!!!!!!!

Steve
"The Desert Rat"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DesertGator

Latest posts