95 Yukon Rear Bench broken release latch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Neil Gandhi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
1995 GMC Yukon 2-door.

Rear bench release latch is broken which will not allow the bench to fold forward. The black cables that attach to the release are clearly visible, but I am unable to understand how the black cables connect to the hinge to stop the seats from folding. I am assuming i am looking for a pin of some sort to allow the bench to fold. Any ideas to help me fold the bench forward would be greatly appreciated

Neil

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can you post a picture of your “Broken” release latch. Sometimes it is a cable rigging issue. The latches you are looking for are on the left and right side (See picture of fixed “Striker” of latch) of the bench seat. Unfortunately they are only visible as they release and the seat is moving forward. See below picture of the two cables under the “Release “ handle. Both of those cables will need to be simultaneously pulled, to unlock the seat. I really hate posting that picture of the stain on my carpet….

Attachments

• DA756E04-2B5F-40AE-AB34-D05D0A79557E.jpeg
    DA756E04-2B5F-40AE-AB34-D05D0A79557E.jpeg
    399.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 9FEE94BD-93F0-4541-8247-08DF6FA25EFF.jpeg
    9FEE94BD-93F0-4541-8247-08DF6FA25EFF.jpeg
    312.6 KB · Views: 19
OP
OP
N

Neil Gandhi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can you post a picture of your “Broken” release latch. Sometimes it is a cable rigging issue. The latches you are looking for are on the left and right side (See picture of fixed “Striker” of latch) of the bench seat. Unfortunately they are only visible as they release and the seat is moving forward. See below picture of the two cables under the “Release “ handle. Both of those cables will need to be simultaneously pulled, to unlock the seat. I really hate posting that picture of the stain on my carpet…
Hi I am having additional problem with the latch, the red highlighter is how the cables run. I have tried to get vise grips on the broken ends and pull but I still am unable to release the pins in place to get the bench to fold over.

Attachments

• IMG_3103.jpg
    IMG_3103.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_3104.jpg
    IMG_3104.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 6

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Possibly 2 or more ways to unlatch from past experience on other vehicles.
1) Hook bare cables and pull-coat hanger,safety wire, bent pick.
2) Move hook itself- Using whatever fits, again safety wire, plastic trim tools, custom made whatever tool. Good luck.

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m thinking it may be easier to work on with the bench removed. I would hit the bolt threads with some penetrating fluid and a heat gun. Maybe even let them soak for a week. Then work on the bench seat up on a work table. Check availability of new cables, and you should be able to run it another 20 years.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as mentioned above use some kind of tool and then go to the junkyard and get a replacement cable/latch off a scraper
hard for me to tell what needs to move where from the photos

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
George ramos