87 tune with 89 octane

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swtz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am sorry if this was covered but i have an octane question.
I got an87 tune and was wondering if I used 89 octane if that would increase power or mpg or if it is useless.

Just curious to know,cause I know if you use 89 with a 93 tune it is not good.
just wanted to know if I went up in octane i would benefit.

Thanks

My01yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks I sent one out..

Please post the response. I got the 87 tune in May and i am now on my second tank of 89 octane. Would like to know if there will be much gains. Last tank was about a wash between using 87 vs 89, 13.5 MPG mostly city. I figure give it at least 2-3 tanks to see if my tank stretches further with 89.

OP
OP
swtz71

swtz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as soon as I hear back I will post up what he says.

OP
OP
swtz71

swtz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I heard back from Justin, he said that 89 octane should increase performance and to give it a shot and see what I think.
So I am going to run my tank down and fill with 89.

my01yuk, have you had any increase?

My01yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I heard back from Justin, he said that 89 octane should increase performance and to give it a shot and see what I think.
So I am going to run my tank down and fill with 89.

my01yuk, have you had any increase?

Swtz,

This is my second tank, i will hold off on going as far as saying i have seen an increase. This tank seems to be a tad bit better than my three previous tanks. As far as power, I had to pass a sunday driver this morning on a two lane hwy. I got around him in no time, i went from 55 to 75 in a flash. With big ass 22's she just got up and went. Felt good. I think 89 will be my octane of choice going forward.

OP
OP
swtz71

swtz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and it's only a 10 cent difference I am on my second tank and there is a difference..

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Higher octane (provided it is good quality) will typically yield better MPG results.

My01yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Filled up on friday. avg 13.85 with my third tank and that was 98% city driving. I am happy with using 89 so far, can't see my going back. I used the hand/calculator method when figuring out my mpg. my 01 doesn't have the DIC. So I'm pretty confident that my avg is correct.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
16yukon