#8 spark plug

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pt1965

Reaction score
just did mine on my 2010. do it with engine cold in the morning. i found it hard to remove wire so i bought special curved needle nose plyers and reached thru wheel well over top of tire to pull it off. then just kept trying different lengths of extensions and my ujoint adapter. the pass side of the engine took me 2 hrs. the driver side took about 10 minutes!

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New ones are easiest from below. Just enough space to reach up there and get it with a socket and your hand.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Neither do I. But, what does a 3/4" extension have to do with anything?
It’s the best way. Regular plug socket with a 3/4” EXTENSION on the end, which Im pretty sure @Hi-psi meant:
Regular spark plug socket + 3/4" short socket on the end. It is just the right length to extend beyond the manifold, but leave room to get a regular 3/8" rachet in there to bust it loose.

Or maybe not but a 3/4” extension with a regular plug socket does work best.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s the best way. Regular plug socket with a 3/4” EXTENSION on the end, which Im pretty sure @Hi-psi meant

I've always used a 3/4" regular (not deep) socket on the back of a 5/8" spark plug socket. This probably ends up being about the same as having a 3/4" extension. But, most any mechanic's tool set that includes a 5/8" spark plug socket is gonna have a 3/4" socket before having a 3/4" extension in the assortment.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always used a 3/4" regular (not deep) socket on the back of a 5/8" spark plug socket. This probably ends up being about the same as having a 3/4" extension. But, most any mechanic's tool set that includes a 5/8" spark plug socket is gonna have a 3/4" socket before having a 3/4" extension in the assortment.
Never heard of that one.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never heard of that one.

I wouldn't BS you!

Just measured: My Craftsman 5/8" spark plug socket is 2 3/8" long. With a Craftsman 3/4" short socket on the back of it, the combined length is 3 1/8". All 3/8" drive.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't BS you!

Just measured: My Craftsman 5/8" spark plug socket is 2 3/8" long. With a Craftsman 3/4" short socket on the back of it, the combined length is 3 1/8". All 3/8" drive.
I just checked, same here. With the 3/4” extension instead of the socket the total is 3 5/8”. Either method will work so now we have more ways to do it. With my headers though on The Beast I now have to pull the fender liner and go from below. But on the Silvy I can still do it from above.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne