8 bolt hub?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

traveldadof3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new here but couldn't find much to help me figure this out.

Alright, now that that's out of the way. I recently purchased a used 2015 Yukon XL Denali. I didn't really notice anything unusual about the wheel hubs due to a cover on them. I have now noticed that my wheel hubs are 8 bolt as opposed to the standard 6. Could this mean that the previous owner had the axles swapped out for 3/4 ton axles? I also noticed I have a shiny aluminum rear drive shaft. Is that normal on the Yukon Denali? When I was looking over the car at the dealer I did notice that it had a class IV hitch as well. I assumed this was standard. However now I'm wondering if this was also upgraded.

I guess what I'm really asking is, is it possible the previous owner attempted to upgrade my Denali to a 2500 version? If so, would that change my towing/ payload?

Thanks for everyone's help on this!

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new here but couldn't find much to help me figure this out.

Alright, now that that's out of the way. I recently purchased a used 2015 Yukon XL Denali. I didn't really notice anything unusual about the wheel hubs due to a cover on them. I have now noticed that my wheel hubs are 8 bolt as opposed to the standard 6. Could this mean that the previous owner had the axles swapped out for 3/4 ton axles? I also noticed I have a shiny aluminum rear drive shaft. Is that normal on the Yukon Denali? When I was looking over the car at the dealer I did notice that it had a class IV hitch as well. I assumed this was standard. However now I'm wondering if this was also upgraded.

I guess what I'm really asking is, is it possible the previous owner attempted to upgrade my Denali to a 2500 version? If so, would that change my towing/ payload?

Thanks for everyone's help on this!

Please post a picture of your RPO sticker in the glove box. Also, go chat on the GM Customer service website and ask for your build sheet.

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now just to make sure I am understanding correctly, the rear axle has an 8 lug pattern and the front of your Yukon has a 6 lug pattern? If both front and rear are 8 lug you simply have a 3/4 ton truck. No way anyone would chop apart a 1/2 ton suspension like that it just would not be worth the cost. It would be a bear to even adapt a 3/4 ton rear axle much less do the required mods for the front . Naw you just got a 3/4 ton truck I think. Post some pics if you have some. Sounds like a cool rig.

OP
OP
T

traveldadof3

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'll get some pics in the morning. We like it. Well, my youngest keeps saying we should jack it up or add wheel spacers, but he's 13 and just wants a big truck.

Cprince912

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Unless its a 2500 then it should have 6 lug. Towing would change if they changed the suspension also. Im also guessing but the gear ratios would be different in a 2500 too. Like the others said your vin will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne