8.1 or 6.0???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xeqshnr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the search for a LQ4 for my 94 Yukon 2dr I ran across an 8.1 a GM tech friend of mine aquired. Has minimal damage but needs rebuilt. I can snag it for $1000. I realize theres not a ton of aftermarket support for these but it sounds like fun motor to have in a street/mud toy with a lift a big tires, with a few mods. Of course a 14 bolt sf rear and a built 4l80e would be in order, but I need a new trans anyway. And LQ4's are pretty scarce locally. Thoughts???

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can get all the go fast goodies you need for the 8.1. The big block has mud toy written all over it!

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
6.0 is FAR more reliable and can make just as much if not more power for less.
Get the 6.0, drop some decent heads and a good torque cam, you wont regret it.
Bonus is its easy to replace vs finding another big block if you blow it.

OP
OP
X

xeqshnr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do like the 6.0... just having trouble finding one locally. Raylar Engineering is about the only place Ive found good stuff for the 8.1. That being said Im not in a huge hurry on this project. Probably wont touch it till spring or summer. If they werent so cashy Id drop a 6.0 out of a G8 in it. All aluminum and they already have L92 heads.

makindust2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
8.1 swap

I am doing this swap also .I am installing a 2000 8.1 into a 1997 tahoe. I have a never used crate engine and the ass parts and a arazona speed and marine harness. I have the ecm also and that is were I am stumped.
Do I use the stock tahoe computer and piggy back the 8.1 computer.
Meaning when controls anything passed the engine (gauges etc)
I also have to get a 4l80e .
Any Help would be appreciated.
Thanks Skip

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't want the all-aluminum engine, the cast iron block is a better choice for hp. Besides, the extra 80lbs won't be noticed in your rig.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
This is true.

---------- Post added at 02:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

I am doing this swap also .I am installing a 2000 8.1 into a 1997 tahoe. I have a never used crate engine and the ass parts and a arazona speed and marine harness. I have the ecm also and that is were I am stumped.
Do I use the stock tahoe computer and piggy back the 8.1 computer.
Meaning when controls anything passed the engine (gauges etc)
I also have to get a 4l80e .
Any Help would be appreciated.
Thanks Skip

Use both pcms. the 8.1l for the drivetrain. And the old one to accommodate continued used of abs, cruise, speedo among other things.

makindust2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Thanks Sunlit ,I will have to figure out how to do that double computer thing but it does make sense. I am going to start the swap next week

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n