5.7 starting issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

woody367

Reaction score
So my 99 Yukon 5.7 has starting issues. Not like the other post list now. It will run fine for a week and then won't start. Fuel pump runs. Right now it has been dead for 5 days. I try to start it and cranks fine then it pops out the exhaust and at times the trottle body. There are no codes coming up. Could it be a crank sensor going bad? Anyway I can test the sensor? Thanks

OP
OP
woody367

woody367

Reaction score
Cam sensor? I do not know where to start or don't want just to throw money at it. I have a ACTRON CP9175 code tool. Not sure if it cane do live sendor testing.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tools needed- cheap scanner, fuel pressure guage with long hose, multimeter, test light, spark tester. Less than $100. Otherwise keep throwing parts at it, as last post you needed a fuel pump. If you are willing to test it, we are willing to assist in finding your issue(s).
Don't think of it as OH Shit another $100! Figure what a replacement truck will cost and for less than 1 payment your truck is reliable again. Do it right.

OP
OP
woody367

woody367

Reaction score
Thank you. I got everything together just need to get the fuel guage. I willn check spark and pressures by Saturday. I almost sound like timing is off, But will check.

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An easy thing to check is the distributor cap. They are know to get corrosion build up on the contacts on the inside. My 1998 tahoe did that and it wouldn't start and would hardly crank due to the timing being all jacked up due to cross fire within the cap. If the other tests mentioned in the post above don't resolve the problem, you could pull your distributor and check the gear on the bottom. It is known to thin out and become knife edged. Just be sure to mark the distributor location on the manifold and the position of the rotor pointer on the distributor. Good luck and keep us posted.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
How old are all the ignition related components? Cap, rotor, plugs, wires? Yes, check the drive gear and look all over when the cap is off. May have moisture in cap. Yes, get a fuel pressure reading and if starts, pressure at idle and rev engine and while driving if can. How old is the pump? Old is the filter?

OP
OP
woody367

woody367

Reaction score
Thanks guys, went out and it started right uo, bo issues . I will pull the cap and check inside. AAll the ignition parts are a year or so old and all ADelco. Fuel is a week old, Fuel punp is about 7 years old.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
When you open up the cap, take some pics of it, the rotor and the inside of the distributor. Have seen some nasty pics of inside the distributors lately on the forum.

FAT TRUCK OWNER

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I JUST WENT THROUGH IT JUST LIKE YOU. FIRST I CHANGED CAM SENSOR THEN CAP & ROTOR AND I CHECKED INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKET . IT BLEW OUT FROM INTAKE COVER. SO I CHANGED THAT ALSO. SINCE I GOT POP SOUND FROM THROTTLE BODY. GOOD LUCK ALSO I CHANGED PLUGS AND WIRES

OP
OP
woody367

woody367

Reaction score
Well went out to check fuel pressure , spark and dist. cap. My hands are so cold I can not evern get the pressure gauge screwed on. I will have to wait till it is a little warmer out or it starts and can put it in a warm garage. I am getting old I guess. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne