5.3 v 6.2 daily use and mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boomerc154

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If I were ordering a Tahoe the 5.3 would be great. If I were ordering a burb. I’d go with the 6.2. Just remember that the 6.2 must use premium gas.

Premium fuel is only "Recommended" for the 6.2 by the factory. In contrast, Ram "Requires" premium for the TRX. When the factory "Requires" premium, then you're walking a very thin line with the warranty. Big difference..

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also while you might get away with it short term or here and there... not using premium can cause longer term issues that warranty won't cover.
We had a "Recommended " vehicle in the past that as soon as you put 87 in it, it would throw a CEL. As soon as you switched back, it would go off... The higher gas goes, the more they screw you on premium. Currently +.60 cents in our area but I've seen it as high as +.80 cents. I flatly refuse to participate....

Gibby13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also while you might get away with it short term or here and there... not using premium can cause longer term issues that warranty won't cover.
We had a "Recommended " vehicle in the past that as soon as you put 87 in it, it would throw a CEL. As soon as you switched back, it would go off... The higher gas goes, the more they screw you on premium. Currently +.60 cents in our area but I've seen it as high as +.80 cents. I flatly refuse to participate....

That was probably do to knocking. If stock and it is not knocking there is no reason to use premium gas. And it will not cause an issue with warranty at all.

boomerc154

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

I've also heard that there was an "Unwritten Agreement" between the major vehicle manufacturers and the fuel industry to recommend or require higher octane fuel for manufactured vehicles in exchange for a slew of perks... albeit monetary or otherwise... Then again, this was just a rumor...

xycrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any mpg updates? Especially interested in the 6.2

THarber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the 6.2. It's worth the money and worth the premium fuel, so what? The only people saying that the 5.3 is as good are those who have nevedr driven a 6.2 or who can't afford to do so. My truck puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. No its not a race truck but it will get out of its own way and it can leave some Fords scratching theiur heads. Get an aftermarker tune and mpg and smiles per gallown will also increase.

Gibby13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get the 6.2. It's worth the money and worth the premium fuel, so what? The only people saying that the 5.3 is as good are those who have nevedr driven a 6.2 or who can't afford to do so. My truck puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. No its not a race truck but it will get out of its own way and it can leave some Fords scratching theiur heads. Get an aftermarker tune and mpg and smiles per gallown will also increase.
Have you found somewhere to get the 2021+ tuned?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645