5.3 build ideas input please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Trey Hardy

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
yea im def not trying to discourage you lol
just mean a lot of the money spent now you could prob boost it and get same results with more potential
i would do a compression and leak down test on the bottom end, if everything looks healthy i would just leave it.
heads, no doubt there are benefits to port/polish or cnc but cost to work them over, especially if going boosted when you can just turn it up another psi or two. good springs and trunion kit tho either way
definitely dod delete and cam swap, but at this point you need to decide which way to go. big NA cam, turbo/centrifugal, or positive displacement (lsa/whipple). boost cam in NA prob only going to give up 30-40hp. any of them is way better than stock
Do you have to gap the rings for running the magnasun? I’ve seen people just slap em on and send it many times in the past

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I’m aiming towards 500+ hp with this build I’m wondering if the botttom end needs addressing while I have the motor out?
(Stroker kit?) (forged rods and pistons?)
It’s a 5.3 out a 07 avalanche with 160,000 on her.
I planned to dod delete it along with a stage 4 cam and built top end.
Planning to port polish deck and valve job the 243 heads that are on it

Another question is that I plan on doing a lsa supercharger down the road but it’ll probably be another year before I ever get to that… so should I be looking at supercharger cams vs the stage 4?

I’ll be putting a 3400-3600 stall in the trans when I swap the motor and I’ll build the 4l60 out the avalanche to have for when my stock one ***** the bed

Looking at cam motion and Texas speed stuff
If there is a fairly simple and cost efficient turbo kit that’s cheaper then a lsa swap I’ve looked into the speed engineering twin turbo kit…
I’m just spit balling ideas and getting game plan together before I start ordering parts
@randeez @Tonyrodz i know yall have boosted setups do yall have a build sheet on y’all’s motor setup on y’all’s build thread by chance? Are you guys happy with the setup? Randy you got a pro charger correct? And Tony’s got the Whipple?
I wish. Unfortunately I'm NA.

OP
OP
Trey Hardy

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
You know what, that might not work for 5.3 pistons. What are the piston diameters?
I’m not sure off the top of my head
I’ve also seen people run 4.8 flat top pistons with boost for people on a budget and it’s held up good

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
5.3 bore is 3.780" (same as 4.8, but that one has shorter stroke.)

This PDF has pretty good instructions and specs based on bore diameter and application:

Edit: Probably worth printing that PDF for future reference...or at least, I'm going to... :)

Edit 2: https://help.summitracing.com/knowledgebase/article/SR-04734/en-us

Last edited:

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
102k on my 5.3 with Whipple. (Granted is a Gen V LT but I digress). The motor is all stock. Havent even done a DOD/AFM delete on the motor. 40k on the motor since the whipple was installed and I drive it like I stole it. The only tick is the exhaust exiting the headers.

If you are pulling the motor with the intent to add a power-adder down the road, then your N/A numbers are going to be a little disappointing. You should be looking to lower the compression of the block so you can have various pulleys for changing boots levels if you are going with an S/C. If you plan on running 10lbs or more, then you will need a forged rotating assembly. In stock "specs" with forged internals, dished pistons, proper heads/port job, and a boost friendly cam, you should be able to push the S/C to 12~18 lbs of boost and have the same reliability as a stock motor. The Gen 4 & 5 5.3s can rev to 7000 safely if properly built.

That combined with 12+ lbs of boost should get those tires close to the 600hp range., More boost, more power if the motor is built properly. If you want more than that, you may want to consider swapping the 5.3 for something bigger. While there of plenty of built 5.3's out there putting down 1000hp or more, the cost to do that reliably will outway the cost of moving to a Dart or LSX block with more displacement.

Also, after 8lbs of boost, bad things happen to the driveline if also not beefed up.

If you are thinking about a turbo system, I would highly recommend the Armageddon TT system. Its expensive but anything good isn't cheap.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put my Whipple in my 02 at 150k without doing anything to the bottom end. If it had 250k I might have worried. BTW the only maintenance the blower needs is an oil change after 100k miles. Everything needed is included in the kits including intercooler and some include a tune.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts