4x4 transfer case swap 2004 GMC yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dill07

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
so I was wondering I have a 2004 GMC Yukon with a 5.3 and I always wanted it to be 4x4 instead of AWD. so I figured the easiest way to do that would be to get a transfer case from another 04 gm 4speed that was 4x4 and then get the buttons for the 4x4 witch would fit right where the AWD and traction control buttons are but I have no clue what else would need to be done would the same drive shafts work, would it throw any codes idk if this has been done by anyone before.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m not super familiar with that model but didn’t know they made AWD thought 2wd or 4? It has AWD on demand? Wonder what the difference is for that model between 4wd and AWD. Just wondering for my own info

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As I understand it the OP's system may be AWD(?), not AWD On Demand. The only way I could envision AWD On Demand is to have the 4x4 Transfer Case and the dash switch in AUTO. That way the rear wheels are driven until slip is detected, then the front differential actuator engages the diff for 4x4. That's really just Auto 4x4, and there can be a second or so delay between slip detection and 4x4 engagement.

@dill07, what does your dash switch look like?

OP
OP
D

dill07

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’m not super familiar with that model but didn’t know they made AWD thought 2wd or 4? It has AWD on demand? Wonder what the difference is for that model between 4wd and AWD. Just wondering for my own info
awd means its always in 4wd 4x4 I could take it out and have it just be rear wheel drive

OP
OP
D

dill07

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As I understand it the OP's system may be AWD(?), not AWD On Demand. The only way I could envision AWD On Demand is to have the 4x4 Transfer Case and the dash switch in AUTO. That way the rear wheels are driven until slip is detected, then the front differential actuator engages the diff for 4x4. That's really just Auto 4x4, and there can be a second or so delay between slip detection and 4x4 engagement.

@dill07, what does your dash switch look like?
my dash switch has 4h 4l and the traction control button if I had the 4x4 id have 2h 4h 4l and the on demand button

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe your truck is always in 2 high and you can choose 4 high or low or auto. The trucks that are AWD are always AWD. Mine is and I don’t have the option of taking it out of AWD I don’t even have a selector. I think you have what you’re looking for.

OP
OP
D

dill07

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I believe your truck is always in 2 high and you can choose 4 high or low or auto. The trucks that are AWD are always AWD. Mine is and I don’t have the option of taking it out of AWD I don’t even have a selector. I think you have what you’re looking for.
That’s how mine is I’m wanna make mine have the selector

OKYukon02

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That’s how mine is I’m wanna make mine have the selector

But you said you have 4h and 4l? Or is it is it like Big Mama's and you have no selector for 4h and 4l (which would be AWD). AWD doesn't have a selector. It's always AWD. If you have a 4h and 4l odds are it's like was stated above, it's 2WD unless you push 4h or 4l.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jmiller727

Latest posts