4x4 transfer case swap 2004 GMC yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2004 could have any of these set ups:

RPO NP8 with the NVG 246 2-speed transfer case and 4 button control switch and 5 modes of operation.

RPO NR4 with the Borg Warner 4482 2-speed transfer case and 3 buttons and 3 modes of operation. This is full time 4WD.

RPO NR3 with the Borg Warner 4481 single speed transfer case. Also full time 4WD.

OP
OP
D

dill07

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
But you said you have 4h and 4l? Or is it is it like Big Mama's and you have no selector for 4h and 4l (which would be AWD). AWD doesn't have a selector. It's always AWD. If you have a 4h and 4l odds are it's like was stated above, it's 2WD unless you push 4h or 4l.
Mine the 4h button is always lit and then if you want low u press it but there’s nothing for 2wd

asand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is mine with normal 4wd plus auto 4wd. NP8

IMG_20190315_220840_1.jpg
IMG_20190315_220917.jpg

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He likely has the one that looks like this. Note that there's no 2wd position

Top is traction control on/off, middle is 4hi, bottom is 4 low. I don't know if the center differential locks on this one.

Stabilitrack.png

Given the age of these vehicles I would think it'd be much simpler to sell your Yukon and buy a Yukon or Tahoe with the 4wd setup you want.

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Besides the T-case and the button, I think you would also need the ECU off of the donor vehicle because the NR4 4wd system is integrated with the traction control. I'm not even sure if they'd be compatible.

OP
OP
D

dill07

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

Top is traction control on/off, middle is 4hi, bottom is 4 low. I don't know if the center differential locks on this one.

View attachment 219088

Given the age of these vehicles I would think it'd be much simpler to sell your Yukon and buy a Yukon or Tahoe with the 4wd setup you want.

View attachment 219088

yes mine looks just like that the only reason I wanna swap is I have a very clean chassis an I live in new England so there not the easiest to find cheap

OP
OP
D

dill07

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The 2004 could have any of these set ups:

RPO NP8 with the NVG 246 2-speed transfer case and 4 button control switch and 5 modes of operation.

RPO NR4 with the Borg Warner 4482 2-speed transfer case and 3 buttons and 3 modes of operation. This is full time 4WD.

RPO NR3 with the Borg Warner 4481 single speed transfer case. Also full time 4WD.
I have an NR4 and wanna swap to a NP8

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an NR4 and wanna swap to a NP8

Well Dillon, I believe also that you'll need a new front differential, one with the disconnect too. This would come from an NP8 donor. You'd also need the transfer case module and of course the dash controls but not sure what kind of programming with a Tech-2 would be necessary, if it all. This certainly has been done before, the further research required to find who did it.

I have seen someone add a two-speed transfer case to a GMT900 where theirs only had the single and did it without programming but did add the new switch and modules from the donor.

I'd like to look around but have a busy weekend ahead, maybe after.

OP
OP
D

dill07

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well Dillon, I believe also that you'll need a new front differential, one with the disconnect too. This would come from an NP8 donor. You'd also need the transfer case module and of course the dash controls but not sure what kind of programming with a Tech-2 would be necessary, if it all. This certainly has been done before, the further research required to find who did it.

I have seen someone add a two-speed transfer case to a GMT900 where theirs only had the single and did it without programming but did add the new switch and modules from the donor.

I'd like to look around but have a busy weekend ahead, maybe after.
yeah im not doing the swap any time soon but I do plan to find another Yukon with a NP8 in it for the swap and Im trying to figure out what else I would need to pull off any help is greatly appreciated

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron505