4X4 question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

My01yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's up fellas? I have an 01 yukon 4x4 that i bought from a family member last year. I have no 4x4 experience and I never really engage the 4HI on her. I was told by a friend a while back that I need to engage the 4HI every now and then to keep everything lubricated or something to that effect. I had a few at the time so can't remember the exact words. Can anyone confirm this? I just need to know if I go 10-15K miles on her without engaging the 4HI will I be doing any damage to any compenents in the long run? I have a few places close by where I can take her off road for some minimal use but not really into that personally. Any advice would be nice. Thanks.

donut slayer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You wont tear anything not using 4wd, but I put mine in at least once a month on a dirt road just to keep everything lubed. I dont think its neccessary though.

dwmmatt23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It wouldnt cause any problems to not engage the 4x4 over long periods of time, but it is good to do every so often just because our transfer cases have so many problems ive heard of and its better to do it every so often so its still there and working when you need and your not caught of guard stuck in a ditch, IMHO

Last edited:
OP
OP
My01yuk

My01yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I will do it once or month on this off road site not far from my house. Did it a few months back with my 6 yr old son and he really enjoyed it, so i will probably make it a father son outing or something.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Richie255