Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03Tah0eZ71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So I’m basically trying to make my Tahoe a 2wd for an easy lift, what would I have to do to make it where I can run a spindle lift on a 03 4wd Tahoe. As far I know just have to take out cv’s out and run 2wd hubs. Any info Is appreciated.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sub'd. Always wondered about this and if removing the front drive line throws up codes. You can make stub shafts out of the CV's to hold the front bearings together. Lot's of different opinions here over the years on the differences between the 2WD and 4WD hub assemblies. Some say they are the same and no need for the stub shafts to hold the bearings from coming apart, others swear it does.

OP
OP

03Tah0eZ71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sub'd. Always wondered about this and if removing the front drive line throws up codes. You can make stub shafts out of the CV's to hold the front bearings together. Lot's of different opinions here over the years on the differences between the 2WD and 4WD hub assemblies. Some say they are the same and no need for the stub shafts to hold the bearings from coming apart, others swear it does.
Yeah I was wondering the same thing, I’m sure it would throw a service 4wd code But I should able to clear it. But from what I have seen running 2wd hubs bypasses that whole bearing problem.
also seen where someone did the whole front diff/cv delete and keep the 4wd hubs and the needless to say it did not last long.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would think it would throw a code for the transfer case speed sensor for the front propshaft, since the diff won't turn the propshaft without the CV axles in place. Not sure if that would be all the time or only if it's switched to AUTO.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
also seen where someone did the whole front diff/cv delete and keep the 4wd hubs and the needless to say it did not last long.
Can you share the info or link about this?

OP
OP

03Tah0eZ71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can you share the info or link about this?
It’s a YouTube video, it’s called “how I turned my 4wd truck to 2wd ( lifted 2013 Chevy Silverado 1500 3 inch lift kit)” but he talks about it in the comments how he never switched to 2wd hubs and they snapped within 2 weeks because of that.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s a YouTube video, it’s called “how I turned my 4wd truck to 2wd ( lifted 2013 Chevy Silverado 1500 3 inch lift kit)” but he talks about it in the comments how he never switched to 2wd hubs and they snapped within 2 weeks because of that.

This one?

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can take apart the CV shaft leaving the spindle end in the hub with no problems.
I just recently ran mine this way for a couple weeks after blowing a CV. I would consider if the stub shaft would interfere with anything when using a lift spindle, however. If it would you will have to switch to 2wd hubs anyway.

You don't have to be worried about a tcase speed code because the front driveshaft is not spinning even when the CVs are in place. There is a disconnect in the front differential.

All that said, how much lift are you shooting for? I would not be eager to lose my 4wd if I had it... especially for appearance no less.