4WD Switch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 04 Tahoe has started up with this problem. Sometimes, the 4x switch shows 2HI as it should, other times it shows in neutral ( red light ) and runs like a dog, and other times it shows 4 LOW and runs like a beaten injured dog. When in 4 LOW the shifting of the transmission is so screwed up, but I've learned how to deal with driving it when it's stuck in that mode.

I do not believe it is going into 4wd at all. I see the problem could be the dash switch assy, or it could be the encoder motor position sensor.

My question.....how can I tell which of those two is causing the problem?

destroyer1362

A work in progress
Reaction score
My 04 Tahoe has started up with this problem. Sometimes, the 4x switch shows 2HI as it should, other times it shows in neutral ( red light ) and runs like a dog, and other times it shows 4 LOW and runs like a beaten injured dog. When in 4 LOW the shifting of the transmission is so screwed up, but I've learned how to deal with driving it when it's stuck in that mode.

I do not believe it is going into 4wd at all. I see the problem could be the dash switch assy, or it could be the encoder motor position sensor.

My question.....how can I tell which of those two is causing the problem?

You could grab a scan tool, I have a Autophix OM123, its cheap ($35) and it works. It will be able to show you what the encoder is seeing 4wd/2wd/hi/lo etc.. If you press 4hi, and the encoder info shows 4hi then you can rule that part out..

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an Actron CP9145 OBD2, OBD1 code reader. Would you happen to know if this has the ability to read the encoders output?

destroyer1362

A work in progress
Reaction score
I have an Actron CP9145 OBD2, OBD1 code reader. Would you happen to know if this has the ability to read the encoders output?
I don't believe so, it looks like you can read some data but not 4x4 info..

Heres a vid to the data you should see if you can view 4x4 data. Skip to around 7:20

speedmachine

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It's not the switch.

It's 99% the encoder motor position sensor.

Yep, I had the same problem along with "SERVICE 4WD" message on the dash. This was the cause, took about 2 hours to change. $50 or so for the part from Rockauto.

ATIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was doing the same things. Changed the switch and it seemed to correct it temporarily. End of story is the encoder motor was jacked and $1100.00 and a winter under its belt it's fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score
Mine was doing the same things. Changed the switch and it seemed to correct it temporarily. End of story is the encoder motor was jacked and $1100.00 and a winter under its belt it's fixed.

The encoder motor position sensor is a $40 part inside of the $500+ encoder motor. The motor itself either works or it doesn't in the majority of cases. The $40 sensor is what is the problem 9 times out of 10.

Pull the encoder motor down and open it up. Replace the sensor and save yourself $1060 next time. Literally a 60 minute job on your back in the driveway. I can do them on the lift in 25 minutes.

Last edited:

ATIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The encoder motor position sensor is a $40 part inside of the $500+ encoder motor. The motor itself either works or it doesn't in the majority of cases. The $40 sensor is what is the problem. Pull the encoder motor down and open it up. Replace the sensor and save yourself $1060 next time.
It ended up being more damage inside the T Case as well. Bent Forks I believe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879