4WD Knob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ed Blown Vert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably a dumb question but...
I noticed the other day on the 4WD indicator, 5 selections

2WD
Auto
4WD-Hi
4WD-Lo

Then what looks like 'Neutral'?
What is that for??

Rollin Thunder

Banned for Repeatedly Insulting Members
Reaction score
neutral is just that, Neutral. It dis connects both drive shafts causing BOTH axles to be free. Its great when dingy towing. Also just an FYI a 2wd Gmt 900 MUST be flat bed towed. They do not want you to just shift it in to N on the gear changer and tow it. That would screw shit up.

OP
OP
Ed Blown Vert

Ed Blown Vert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought so. I will have to try it again because when I turned and held it. I didn't notice anything happening.

Rollin Thunder

Banned for Repeatedly Insulting Members
Reaction score
to get in to 4LO you put the truck in neutral, and turn the knob to 4lo, then put it in drive.

that is completely separate from N on the knob. I dont know the sequence but its in the manual. when you shift the transfer case to N, Not even PARK will hold the vehcile, It disconnects both driveshafts from the tranny and they spin freely. This is why a 4x4 can be towed behind a dingy. But a 2wd MUST be flat bed towed because there is no easy way to disconnect the driveshafts.

Nfamous60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you have to out the shifter in neutral and then shift into 4lo if you try 4lo without being in neutral it will default bac to auto.

OP
OP
Ed Blown Vert

Ed Blown Vert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand how the transfer case works. Just was curious how that neutral button worked.

---------- Post added at 07:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:50 PM ----------

Tried what the manual says, but can't get the transfer case into neutral.

05Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never tried on a GMT900 but I know there was several steps to get the 800s into neutral. I believe that the truck must be in run and not on and in neutral and then you had to push 2 buttons on those for like 10 seconds so i would assume you hold the knob over on neutral for 10 seconds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harpo123