4wd/ auto problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cdip01

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2021 Yukon Denali 35,000 miles

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I haven’t noticed this before but when I’m in either auto/4wd high and I accelerate there is a slight thudding or “bumpy” feeling. I goes away after I get up to speed but when I stop and accelerate again it comes back. This only happens when I’m in auto or 4wd. I thought at first it was just the condition of the road at the time because that’s what it feels like but when I switch back to 2WD it does not happen.

Took it to a dealer that was close by but they said they couldn’t “do” anything because there were no malfunction lights on.

I plan on taking it back to the dealer where I purchased it from because I had a great experience with them but they are about an hour away.

I found this forum and figured I would see if anyone has had anything similar. What’s odd is that it does this in auto which to my knowledge is 2WD and only switches to AWD when traction is needed.

Hope this makes sense

Thanks!

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s a little strange. I don’t have that with my ‘21 Tahoe. When it’s in auto or 4wd I don’t notice any different noises.

Hopefully that other dealer can figure it out.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Kind of wondering if a front diff mount is not quite tight and lets the diff move around when there's a load on the front drivetrain.

All we need now are a bunch of sensors so it will set a code and some "tech" will be able to tell there's a problem. :crazy:

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what road conditions are you running in auto/4wd in? Just checking as your post doesnt specify. If dry or light rain, should use 2wd. Auto if road is heavy rain/patchy snow drifts/covered and 4wd if fully snow covered. Not trying to be rude just covering simple things 1st. My wife learned this about a week after our tahoe was delivered, when she was driving the canyon and she was complaining about it driving funny/ shuddered, wheels locked up whem turning corners. I went and we swapped rides on way home from where she was and about 3 miles into my drive, it dawned on me to look. Sure enough it was in 4wd, amd as soon as i out it in 2wd, it drove as it was supposed to. She was so mad at me about it too after i told her what happened. She swore i had to have done it.

jepaul2198

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just posted this. We have very similar issues.

My wife wants to run the car in Auto, hence that is the purpose of AUTO. The car will decide when it needs 4wd/AWD or not. Like our Land Rover did, that was the wife's requirement. It should be noted on my issue I never had a problem before they changed out the lifting rods. Now I get the exact same feeling you are talking about.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my 2019 I notice slightly more noise when in 4x4 auto mode, but this is very hard to describe. It takes more of a personal experience to describe it more than words can do.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just posted this. We have very similar issues.

My wife wants to run the car in Auto, hence that is the purpose of AUTO. The car will decide when it needs 4wd/AWD or not. Like our Land Rover did, that was the wife's requirement. It should be noted on my issue I never had a problem before they changed out the lifting rods. Now I get the exact same feeling you are talking about.
You're going to wear out the transfer case running around in Auto all the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marthaInKilgore