4L60E from to 2009 4x4 in 2005 LT 4x4 Suburban with 4L60E

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
Would an '09 transmission drop right into an '05? Any issues?
I believe the plug on it will be different but oside from that it should drop in fine. But without the plug the computer won’t be communicating with it so it wouldn’t work without some sort of adapter harness but someone will correct me if I’m wrong

OP
OP
P

project_x

Reaction score
I believe the plug on it will be different but oside from that it should drop in fine. But without the plug the computer won’t be communicating with it so it wouldn’t work without some sort of adapter harness but someone will correct me if I’m wrong
@NickTransmissions is that correct?

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would an '09 transmission drop right into an '05?
Absolutely not.

The 4L60E changed significantly in 2009.

The manual lever position sensor, pressure switch manifold and 3-2 control solenoid were all elimimated. The first two were replaced by the imternal mode switch in all 2009+ vehicles. Since these changes resulted in structural case and valve body changes, not only are they completely non-interchangeable, there's no way to "adapt" a 2009+ transmission to work in a 2008 and earlier vehicle.

What's wrong with yours and why not simply rebuild it or have it rebuilt?

OP
OP
P

project_x

Reaction score
Absolutely not.

The 4L60E changed significantly in 2009.

The manual lever position sensor, pressure switch manifold and 3-2 control solenoid were all elimimated. The first two were replaced by the imternal mode switch in all 2009+ vehicles. Since these changes resulted in structural case and valve body changes, not only are they completely non-interchangeable, there's no way to "adapt" a 2009+ transmission to work in a 2008 and earlier vehicle.

What's wrong with yours and why not simply rebuild it or have it rebuilt?
Thanks, Nick.
Mine has developed a little slip at times (170k Miles, and don't know the maintenance history)...
I came across a recently rebuilt transmission out of a 2009 (car was a right off, 10k miles on rebuilt 4L60E) for a decent price and thought it might be easier and less down time than rebuilding mine...

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Nick.
Mine has developed a little slip at times (170k Miles, and don't know the maintenance history)...
I came across a recently rebuilt transmission out of a 2009 (car was a right off, 10k miles on rebuilt 4L60E) for a decent price and thought it might be easier and less down time than rebuilding mine...
You can swap in a used 4L60E but be warned, it is a crap-shoot, much more so compared to other transmissions like the 4L80E or Allisons...That said, if you're going shopping for one and in a position to physically inspect the transmission from the outside, check out my video for what to look for and inspection tips/pointers to follow...While it's still a gamble, you may be able to rule out a bad unit before laying money down.

Once you found one that works, I'd either read up and/or watch some vids on 4L60E rebuilding. All of my videos are in my 4L60E Information thread to help you along so take a look if you haven't already done so. Buy the ATSG manual for the 4L60Es to have for reference then begin tearing it down, taking plenty of pics or film it along the way. Replace any bad hard parts, grab a comprehensive overhaul kit, electronics package (harness/solenoids, pressure switch manifold, MLPS, speed sensor), bushing kit and forward sprag assembly then go through the unit.

OP
OP
P

project_x

Reaction score
You can swap in a used 4L60E but be warned, it is a crap-shoot, much more so compared to other transmissions like the 4L80E or Allisons...That said, if you're going shopping for one and in a position to physically inspect the transmission from the outside, check out my video for what to look for and inspection tips/pointers to follow...While it's still a gamble, you may be able to rule out a bad unit before laying money down.

Once you found one that works, I'd either read up and/or watch some vids on 4L60E rebuilding. All of my videos are in my 4L60E Information thread to help you along so take a look if you haven't already done so. Buy the ATSG manual for the 4L60Es to have for reference then begin tearing it down, taking plenty of pics or film it along the way. Replace any bad hard parts, grab a comprehensive overhaul kit, electronics package (harness/solenoids, pressure switch manifold, MLPS, speed sensor), bushing kit and forward sprag assembly then go through the unit.
Thanks, I will take a look at that video

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
griffey_mojo