4 door lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

70stroker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have started gathering parts for my lift on my 96 tahoe 4door. I bought the tires which are 315/75/16 (35s) i also got the wheels im running. I bought new inner and outter tie rods, upper and lower ball joints, idler and pitman arm also.

My question is what else do i need except the lift. I plan on going with the rcx lift, I priced the lift, rear sway bar extenders, and the torsion bar crossmember drop all for 1200 to my door. Just making sure there is nothing else i am missing.

Thanks in advance.

heres the truck im lifting.

2011-02-19_16-55-39_357.gif

2011-03-13_18-16-09_905.gif

OP
OP

70stroker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
well i forgot to mention that, im going to do them in january when my buddy who has done alot of gears will be in town to help out.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That kit comes with the longer brake lines....rubber ones but still long enough. You need to have the ront cross over pipe re-routed around teh front drive shaft....unless you have something else planned.

Plan on some other isses like a U joint or something since you will be changing the driveshaft angles. After we got my lift on the U joint squeaked a little. I just always figure on a bunch of shit breaking.

You will need an alignment too.

The gears is actually a very important part of the lift too....one those tires go on say goodbye to your power and milage for a while and get used to driving in 3 unless you are on a highway.

OP
OP

70stroker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That kit comes with the longer brake lines....rubber ones but still long enough. You need to have the ront cross over pipe re-routed around teh front drive shaft....unless you have something else planned.

Plan on some other isses like a U joint or something since you will be changing the driveshaft angles. After we got my lift on the U joint squeaked a little. I just always figure on a bunch of shit breaking.

You will need an alignment too.

The gears is actually a very important part of the lift too....one those tires go on say goodbye to your power and milage for a while and get used to driving in 3 unless you are on a highway.

I didnt know about the exshaust, so ill plan on that, I figured it would be a good time to put u-joints in also. alignment i figured is a given thats why i didnt mention it. Like i said the gears are coming shortly after, The lift is goin on in september, is the truck drivable for 4 months till i get the gears? I might drive 200 miles a month.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
half the guys you see rolling around never geared their trucks. You will be ok until you gear, just know it strans the tranny so keep the abuse to a minimum

The exhaust is due to lowering teh front diff, the drive shaft wants to be exactly were the cross over pipe is. If you plan to wheel the truck get it routed OVER the shaft.

OP
OP

70stroker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thanks bowtie, i feel confident now that i know everything i need to do after seeing your tahoe and getting your opinion. What gears would be good with a 35 inch tire? also what rear and front ends are in these tahoes when look for gears? I know the rear is a 10 bolt, is it a 8.5? The front im not familiar with this is my first ifs im usually messing with solid axles.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i love my 4.88's but you could get by with 4.56's as well. drove mine for about a year without regearing it and it wasn't tooooo bad but it was a dog...

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4.56 or 4.88 is a good choice for gears. The front is an 8.25" Randy's ring and pinion is a good starting point for shopping

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
melsayed