4-6" Lift Cross Member Cut Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been researching lift kits for my 2009 Tahoe LT. Currently, I am leaning toward the BDS 4" lift kit. Why 4" and not 6"? Lower COG, and I still would like for the Tahoe to fit in my garage.

Anyway, looking through the install instructions for the BDS kit, I noticed a step to weld on a plate to the end of the cross member bracket that they cut to make room for the lowered differential.

Instructions for the BDS kit are here.

I was also looking at the Rough Country 5" kit too. The RC kit had similar instructions for lowering the differential. However, RC did not have any step for welding a plate to the cut cross member's end.

Instructions for the RC kit are here.

Given the instructions' differences, I am assuming that the step BDS added to weld the plate on the cross member's end is primarily additional protection or insurance that the differential does not get damaged by this modification.

Anyone who has installed a lift and the rear cross member was cut to make room for the lowered front differential and has NOT had a plate welded on the new end, have you had any issues that made you wish you had the plate?

I still think this plate welded onto the cross member end is a "nice to have" feature that BDS has included, but several very similar kits from other manufacturers omit this step.

I am asking the question because I plan to install this lift kit myself, but I do not have a welder. I can probably find a friend that can weld who can help, but if this plate is only a "nice to have" feature, then I can skip this part of the installation.

I have the same query out to BDS, too, and I am waiting for their reply. However, I am very curious if anyone who has a lift installed and did not have a plate welded on has had any issues caused by not having it on.

87carl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have read other threads asking exactly this and the welded plate gives a little extra strength but can be skipped most kits don't have it. If planning to wheel it hard I would get someone to weld it.

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
I don’t have mine here to look at right now, but something to consider is the lifts remove one cross member and install two new ones. Any decently designed lift in this class the front frame section ends up stronger than before because of the drop brackets.

My lift didn’t call for any welding and I have zero concern about the strength in that area.

OP
OP
gmartin1215

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did get a response from BDS.

"The weld in plate is used to reinforce that part of the frame and may be required if a state or local inspection is ever done."

To me, this answer still seems a bit grey.