3rd row dome light on with lift gate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gatorintx

Reaction score
My 2023 has 4 rows of dome lights, the 4th row being just above the liftgate. It is simply not bright enough to illuminate the cargo area when the 3rd row is folded (practically all the time for me).
Can you just open one of the doors when you're rooting around the back in the dark? That will turn on all the interior lights. Might be a little annoying but seemingly easier than wiring in additional lights.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe it is a Denali thing, but my interior lights light up as I walk up to the vehicle ...don't even have to open the doors

That's got to be a setting, 'cause mine don't do that.

...And I've also determined that opening the tailgate only kicks on the rearmost overhead light, like the OP says.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's got to be a setting, 'cause mine don't do that.

...And I've also determined that opening the tailgate only kicks on the rearmost overhead light, like the OP says.
Will have to look through it...but I don't recall ever enabling it. All I know is that if I walk up on the vehicle, the lights come on...Has to be dark outside...obviously. And it is not the extrior lights, its the interior ones...

Antonm

Reaction score
I just walked out to the garage. My 23 high country deluxe package tahoe does exactly the same thing the OP's does,,, only the far back interior light comes on when you open the liftgate.

I used the little kick sensor to open the liftgate, but I can't image it's any different on lighting using the remote or the pushbutton.

Tahoe light.jpg

Last edited:

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2023 has 4 rows of dome lights, the 4th row being just above the liftgate. It is simply not bright enough to illuminate the cargo area when the 3rd row is folded (practically all the time for me).
I see. My 2019 only has 3 rows of dome lights - The cargo area is dim regardless, however all of the interior lights turn on when I open the tailgate. However my wife's Nissan Rogue functions as your 2023, the cargo area light is exclusive to the tailgate only. The Passenger doors do not illuminate the cargo light, and the tailgate does not illuminate any other lights as well, it is specific for whatever reason, goofy.

OP
OP
J

jgraves

Reaction score
What year is your truck? My OM states (I'm reading it right now), "The dome lamps come on when any door is opened." I haven't paid attention to whether or not that's true -- but that's what my OM says.
It's 2023 AT4 (non-XL).

The dome lights behave exactly like the owner's manual states. The all illuminate when any of the 4 passenger doors are opened.

Only the rear most (above cargo area) dome light illuminates when the liftgate is opened (unless a passenger door is also opened).

Jeff

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's 2023 AT4 (non-XL).

The dome lights behave exactly like the owner's manual states. The all illuminate when any of the 4 passenger doors are opened.

Only the rear most (above cargo area) dome light illuminates when the liftgate is opened (unless a passenger door is also opened).

Jeff
Right. That’s what I discovered earlier today. But, the OM clearly says “any door” and not “any passenger door,” which I find to be misleading.

OP
OP
J

jgraves

Reaction score
I'm looking for something to install once and never think about again for a decade+. I'm familiar with Rigid LEDs as I have them on the Yukon, motorcycle, trailer and tractor.

Antonm

Reaction score
Right. That’s what I discovered earlier today. But, the OM clearly says “any door” and not “any passenger door,” which I find to be misleading.

The back lift gate isn’t a door,,, it’s a gate,, and it lifts,,,, hence why it’s called a lift gate.

These are four door SUV’s, not five door.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dzg9