33" spare tire fit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I want a welder soooo bad now...
A hundred bucks will buy you a used flux core, a cheapie hood, and your first roll of wire if you're thrifty. A super, super worthwhile investment. You can do a lot with those cheap welders if you practice.

OP
OP
Carolina Brown
Reaction score
I got the tire and it did NOT fit under the seat. I took out the third row seat and set the tire flat on the floor. I then got some chain and a hard shackle (D ring w/pin) and wove the chain through bolt holes of rim and through the seat anchor in floor. Hi lift jack is secured the same way. I don't want the heavy stuff flying around in a rollover or accident. I used a factor of 5 for weight of items to size capacity for chain and hard shackles. It's not elegant but it is certainly functional! I hate that I lost my 3rd row of seating, but those stupid swing out hitches that mount to your hitch were not the best solution IMO. They rattle and I wouldn't feel comfortable towing through it or doing recovery with it. My opinion.

OP
OP
Carolina Brown
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure that a 33” tire does fit if you trim the back end of the tow hitch bracket.
lol...True but taking material off my hitch or frame without compensatory reinforcement isnt a road I want to travel down.

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lol...True but taking material off my hitch or frame without compensatory reinforcement isnt a road I want to travel down.
lol... You wouldn't be touching the frame. The trimming is on the backend of the hitch that sticks out, pokes out toward the tire... and does not impact structural rigidity at all.

Here is a thread you might like to read:

Spare tire 027.JPGhitch to spare tire clearence 044.JPG

Last edited:

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
lol... You wouldn't be touching the frame. It's a fairly common mod. The trimming is on the backend of the hitch that sticks out, pokes out toward the tire... and does not impact structural rigidity at all.

View attachment 389454View attachment 389455
Yes a 33 inch 275-60r-20 duratrac with big nobby tires does fit thats my post and pics.you see the amount i had to cut off the rear of the hitch does not affect anything and fits snug as a bug.If you didnt have the big nobbies i bet it would fit better.Its really a tad over 33 inflated to 45 psi.If i remember it was 2 cuts one i had to angle so the tire went up easier.

OP
OP
Carolina Brown
Reaction score
Yes a 33 inch 275-60r-20 duratrac with big nobby tires does fit thats my post and pics.you see the amount i had to cut off the rear of the hitch does not affect anything and fits snug as a bug.If you didnt have the big nobbies i bet it would fit better.Its really a tad over 33 inflated to 45 psi.If i remember it was 2 cuts one i had to angle so the tire went up easier.
Interesting….

I think I need to revisit this.

What did you use to make the cut?

How’s departure angle? Does the tire rub/grind going over obstacles?

Maybe I’ll leave it under there for daily driving and then put inside cabin when off-roading

corvette744

2004 Z-71
Reaction score
Interesting….

I think I need to revisit this.

What did you use to make the cut?

How’s departure angle? Does the tire rub/grind going over obstacles?

Maybe I’ll leave it under there for daily driving and then put inside cabin when off-roading
Does not rub grind over any obstacles-fits just like factory.Sawzall with new blade.departure angle comes straight down and up.Just fits by the smallest of space but again this is a 33 inch duratrac one with 20,000 miles would fit alot easier.Im actually going to take a rear tire and rim off that i had to plug. I am going to put that in the spare and send that one up and buy 1 new tire soon after winter.They have about 15-20000 miles and look new.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Carolina Brown
Reaction score
lol... You wouldn't be touching the frame. The trimming is on the backend of the hitch that sticks out, pokes out toward the tire... and does not impact structural rigidity at all.

View attachment 389454View attachment 389455
This is my project for this Saturday!!!!

OP
OP
Carolina Brown
Reaction score
Well that was a fail. I couldn’t wait until Saturday.

The tire diameter didn’t touch the cut hitch and it barely touched the brake line on panhard bar. But the thickness of tire was having problems going much higher into the truck. It was hanging kind of low and I didn’t trust it against brake line and trailer PIN wiring.

I put it back inside truck.

Attachments

• 1BF56A97-411A-413E-9B53-0B704393275F.jpeg
    1BF56A97-411A-413E-9B53-0B704393275F.jpeg
    303.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 25DD4DA1-BD70-42A3-9BF5-397A1D31C89B.jpeg
    25DD4DA1-BD70-42A3-9BF5-397A1D31C89B.jpeg
    292.7 KB · Views: 14

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member