3000 mile round trip to Florida and the engine held up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well we rolled the dice and decided to take our Tahoe to Florida. Since it was just my wife and I we decided if we blow and engine we blow an engine. The vehicle did great and averaged around 20 mpg going an average speed of 75 mph when moving. we also had plenty of stop and go traffic coming home from a ton of spring break traffic. The interior is super quiet and easy on the body for those 10 hour driving days.

I took the Tahoe to the Auto Salon of Orlando and had them install some 50% window tint on the front side windows. I would have liked 35% but that will get ya pulled over in Michigan. They did a great job and it cost $85.00 with a lifetime guarantee.

We now have just under 5000 miles on the odometer. I will be doing a second engine oil change soon and sending in another sample to Blackstone Labs to make sure everything is wearing well. I also need to rotate the tires. Does anyone know if the Tahoe TPS self learn their new position or do I need to use my reprogramming tool for GM TPS? I also need to have the dealer order me a new tailgate led bow tie light/sensor. It got some condensation in it and it will open sometimes on it's own if you get close enough to the back with the key fob. I'll have the dealer order me one and have them swap it out when I do the 3rd row seat recall. I attached a few pics of the tint and the bad led bow tie.

tint 1.jpg Tint 2.jpg Rear hatch illuminated logo messed up.jpg

Last edited:

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad it ran well for you...
This is exactly why we are looking/waiting for the right Duramax Denali or Esky.. this year or 22. We make this trip at least 2 times a year. Michigan border to deep southwest FL. There is no doubt in my mind this is a superior road trip vehicle, and with the Dmax, you should be able to crack 25 MPG MIN with some decent range.... but not willing to compromise on the build, and pickens are pretty slim out there...

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Funny, my best friends parents just picked a freshly built 6.2 XL Denali, came home Tuesday and I ceramic coated it Friday. Tailgate never once opened on me (when I didn’t want it to) while I was working on it and I had the key fob in my pocket the whole time. I say that cuz when I detail the 2015 Escalade ESV that they have, anytime I get near the tailgate with like the water hose or a power cord it opens on its own. I either have to leave the key in the garage or disengage the automatic tailgate so that it doesn’t open mid wash. Lol.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well we rolled the dice and decided to take our Tahoe to Florida.

Awesome! Should have stopped by for coffee and a danish!

Glad it ran well for you...
This is exactly why we are looking/waiting for the right Duramax Denali or Esky.. ...and with the Dmax, you should be able to crack 25 MPG MIN with some decent range....

TFL Truck got over 27.6 mpg on a test run.

OP
OP
Fireman591

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why would your engine blow? That 5.3 is bullet proof assuming you dont have a bad valvespring ( they would fail quickly)
Not quite. Some folks are blowing lifters and valve springs well over 6000 miles. My engine was built right in the middle of the TSB reporting the bad valve springs and lifters. I was hoping for a recall but GM is rolling the dice that no one will get hurt with a blown engine and power loss and fixing them when they blow. But hey I get to return to the dealership for my 4th recall. This time to inspect the 3rd row seat belts. That will make me feel so much safer over a blown engine from bad springs and lifters :) LOL

avalonandl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fire591: If your valve springs have not collapsed/broken you are probably safe. I have 30k miles on my 6.2 Camaro SS LT1 and these engines are very reliable.

Sorry you have to return for the seatbelt TSB but they are kind of important.

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm on my 2nd FL trip and have over 11k miles on mine. It really is a great road trip vehicle and I've seen many new Yukons on this trip. There are 4 at my resort building. Averaging 20.5 mpg. I do wish it had the diesel or 6.2. Just feels sluggish when I need it to move.

lasallen

Reaction score
Well we rolled the dice and decided to take our Tahoe to Florida. Since it was just my wife and I we decided if we blow and engine we blow an engine. The vehicle did great and averaged around 20 mpg going an average speed of 75 mph when moving. we also had plenty of stop and go traffic coming home from a ton of spring break traffic. The interior is super quiet and easy on the body for those 10 hour driving days.

I took the Tahoe to the Auto Salon of Orlando and had them install some 50% window tint on the front side windows. I would have liked 35% but that will get ya pulled over in Michigan. They did a great job and it cost $85.00 with a lifetime guarantee.

We now have just under 5000 miles on the odometer. I will be doing a second engine oil change soon and sending in another sample to Blackstone Labs to make sure everything is wearing well. I also need to rotate the tires. Does anyone know if the Tahoe TPS self learn their new position or do I need to use my reprogramming tool for GM TPS? I also need to have the dealer order me a new tailgate led bow tie light/sensor. It got some condensation in it and it will open sometimes on it's own if you get close enough to the back with the key fob. I'll have the dealer order me one and have them swap it out when I do the 3rd row seat recall. I attached a few pics of the tint and the bad led bow tie.

View attachment 275346 View attachment 275347 View attachment 275348

TPMS sensors will relearn after a period of time on the road

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14