3000 mile round trip to Florida and the engine held up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Fireman591

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm on my 2nd FL trip and have over 11k miles on mine. It really is a great road trip vehicle and I've seen many new Yukons on this trip. There are 4 at my resort building. Averaging 20.5 mpg. I do wish it had the diesel or 6.2. Just feels sluggish when I need it to move.
Ya I saw a ton of Tahoes , suburbans and Yukons this trip. If i stick with GM i will be getting the diesel in our 2023 :)

JasonHTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm on my 2nd FL trip and have over 11k miles on mine. It really is a great road trip vehicle and I've seen many new Yukons on this trip. There are 4 at my resort building. Averaging 20.5 mpg. I do wish it had the diesel or 6.2. Just feels sluggish when I need it to move.

We have some road trips planned started at the end of the month. The one in June, we're driving from Houston to Atlanta, so it's good to hear about all these positive road trip experiences.

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just made it back from my trip and now have 12k miles. Yukon did very well, but does require some control in windy conditions. I've said it before, but will say it again. I wish I had the diesel or 6.2. The 5.3 just doesn't have the power to really get out into traffic. Cargo capacity is great. I have 3 kids and fit everything we need in it for our two Florida trips. We fold down the 40% side of 3rd row seat and it works great. You can easily fit carry-on sized suitcases behind the third row. It also seems to ride smoother when loaded up. I averaged 23 mpg coming home, but may have had help from southern winds...

LeonTexas

Reaction score
At how many miles was your first oil change?

Currently have 4247 miles and did a round trip(After 500 mile break-in) from North Texas to Los Angeles CA. Oil percentage is at 44%

OP
OP
Fireman591

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At how many miles was your first oil change?

Currently have 4247 miles and did a round trip(After 500 mile break-in) from North Texas to Los Angeles CA. Oil percentage is at 44%
Mine was done just under 1000 miles. I was worried about fuel in the oil because the dipstick showed it over filled. I'll change it again at 6000 miles. I usually change all my vehicles every 5000 miles.

LeonTexas

Reaction score
Mine was done just under 1000 miles. I was worried about fuel in the oil because the dipstick showed it over filled. I'll change it again at 6000 miles. I usually change all my vehicles every 5000 miles.

Im assuming you changed the oil yourself...

Having the first complementary oil change, i figured i minus well just take it to a California dealership(only 2 around central LA). When I arrived the tahoe had ~2745 miles and I was immediately turned down because they said it was too early. The guy said oil percentage needed to be at “10 percent” before they could validate the complementary oil change otherwise it would be out of my pocket. I grabbed key and left the State.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fireman591

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im assuming you changed the oil yourself...

Having the first complementary oil change, i figured i minus well just take it to a California dealership(only 2 around central LA). When I arrived the tahoe had ~2745 miles and I was immediately turned down because they said it was too early. The guy said oil percentage needed to be at “10 percent” before they could validate the complementary oil change otherwise it would be out of my pocket. I grabbed key and left the State.
No the dealer did it due to the over fill situation. No cost to me :)

Z71orAT4

Reaction score
Just returned from an 1800 mile "shakedown" run from Orange County CA to Santa Fe NM and back with the Duramax Denali and here's the mileage from Flagstaff to home. Adaptive cruise set at 78 all the way, two short stops and still showing another 160 miles left in the tank! Not too shabby! The truck ran smooth and flawless the entire trip and soooo comfortable! Would recommend to anyone.

Mileage.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094