3 or 4” drop in the back

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rex450se

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking for pics of Suburban/XL/ESV with a 2” drop in the front and a 3” and 4” drop in the back. I’m trying to see the differences in the back. I’ve seen a bunch of pictures with the Belltech drop but they don’t specifically say if they used the 3 or 4” drop in the back. Just got my kit from Norcall SS and can’t decide how low to go in the back. Thanks for the help.

86d3e199ccb662d9f56e663902379980.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guy from norcal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would probably start with 3" It's real easy to just take the spacer out if you want to do the 4"

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
What do ya know and think of the coil spring retainer? Do they really do anything? Will it affect the ride?

When you say retainers do you mean the rubber spring isolators on top of the spring???

If so, then yes they serve a purpose... to isolate the spring from the upper spring perch/cup so there is no squeaking metal on metal noises. Some guys have taken them out and slipped rubber hose over the top coil of the springs where it makes contact. They claim it gives them an extra little bit (1/8"-1/4") of drop compared to the stock isolator. I doubt that it's noticeable enough to go to the trouble but that is my opinion.

Will it affect the ride? No... just noise.

Wambliokiye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you say retainers do you mean the rubber spring isolators on top of the spring???

If so, then yes they serve a purpose... to isolate the spring from the upper spring perch/cup so there is no squeaking metal on metal noises. Some guys have taken them out and slipped rubber hose over the top coil of the springs where it makes contact. They claim it gives them an extra little bit (1/8"-1/4") of drop compared to the stock isolator. I doubt that it's noticeable enough to go to the trouble but that is my opinion.

Will it affect the ride? No... just noise.
No something like these. Just wanted to get someone else's opinion.Screenshot_2018-06-16-22-12-04-1.png

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
No something like these. Just wanted to get someone else's opinion.View attachment 201656

Old school spring compressor/clamps... I haven't seen those in years... lol

Yes they do something.... and yes, they ride like crap.

How much drop you get depends on how many coils you compress but it just keeps getting more and more stiff the lower you go.

Not that I am recommending cutting coils off your stock springs, although in my younger days I have done that many times, but the ride would be much better on cut coils than compressed coils.

Just for the record, this is the style of clamps I used back in the day...

rps20180617_071138_141.jpg
They were reversible for lifting or lowering.

Last edited:

Wambliokiye

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Old school spring compressor/clamps... I haven't seen those in years... lol

Yes they do something.... and yes, they ride like crap.

How much drop you get depends on how many coils you compress but it just keeps getting more and more stiff the lower you go.

Not that I am recommending cutting coils off your stock springs, although in my younger days I have done that many times, but the ride would be much better on cut coils than compressed coils.

Just for the record, this is the style of clamps I used back in the day...

View attachment 201660
They were reversible for lifting or lowering.
Thanks. I was just looking around and found these. Yeah back when... we did the same cut springs but to top ya we put on 4 dounuts spares. Hahaha the stupid crap we did back in the day. Think I'll just get the lowering springs.

Rich16LTZ

Reaction score
Looking for pics of Suburban/XL/ESV with a 2” drop in the front and a 3” and 4” drop in the back. I’m trying to see the differences in the back. I’ve seen a bunch of pictures with the Belltech drop but they don’t specifically say if they used the 3 or 4” drop in the back. Just got my kit from Norcall SS and can’t decide how low to go in the back. Thanks for the help.

86d3e199ccb662d9f56e663902379980.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you do 3", you'll wish you had done the 4.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrLeritz