26s and wooble ????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

memphizhoe

Reaction score
So I recently purchased some 26s and when I put them on they shaked like they weren’t balanced. So I got them rebalanced , still shake. I figured maybe I had suspension issues so I literally replaced everything possible and still have shake. I’m at a loss for words. The wheels and tires are brand new and both shops say they balanced out fine. A little back story on the truck is it was lowered at one point and took the kit off to put the 26s on and to also go with a milder drop ( 2/4)
. When I put the stock suspension back on the torsion bar bolts ( adjustment bolt) seem to be uneven. My question is , is it possible that the unevenness of the keys would make it shake ? I’ve asked around and they say the uneven is common but when I jack the vehicle up one wheel drops way lower than the other. Any input would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I recently purchased some 26s and when I put them on they shaked like they weren’t balanced. So I got them rebalanced , still shake. I figured maybe I had suspension issues so I literally replaced everything possible and still have shake. I’m at a loss for words. The wheels and tires are brand new and both shops say they balanced out fine. A little back story on the truck is it was lowered at one point and took the kit off to put the 26s on and to also go with a milder drop ( 2/4)
. When I put the stock suspension back on the torsion bar bolts ( adjustment bolt) seem to be uneven. My question is , is it possible that the unevenness of the keys would make it shake ? I’ve asked around and they say the uneven is common but when I jack the vehicle up one wheel drops way lower than the other. Any input would be much appreciated.

The uneven key bolts is normal. Do you have another set of rims you could put on and see if it still wobbles? Do you have lug centric lug nuts to keep the wheels centered? Are the hubs the same size or could you get hub centric rings?

OP
OP
memphizhoe

memphizhoe

Reaction score
The uneven key bolts is normal. Do you have another set of rims you could put on and see if it still wobbles? Do you have lug centric lug nuts to keep the wheels centered? Are the hubs the same size or could you get hub centric rings?

First off thanks for the reply. I do have the factory 18s when I put those back it doesn’t shake as bad but a vague vibration is there. I’ve had the 26s balanced twice so far and still I have shake. I do have the hub centric ring on also. Both times that I’ve had the 26s balanced both shop say they balanced out fine. Let see I’ve replaced both hubs , tie rod ends , ball joints upper and lower , sway bar links , pitman arm , idler arm and idler arm bracket. Man I’m really at a loss here lol. Oh the wheels I bought were brand new wheels and tire and not used ones. When I took off the lowering kit and put the stock stuff back on my whole suspension just feels really off in the front.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do have the factory 18s when I put those back it doesn’t shake as bad but a vague vibration is there.

26's with rubber band tires will make the shaking more violent/prevalent

I’ve had the 26s balanced twice so far and still I have shake. I do have the hub centric ring on also. Both times that I’ve had the 26s balanced both shop say they balanced out fine. Let see I’ve replaced both hubs , tie rod ends , ball joints upper and lower , sway bar links , pitman arm , idler arm and idler arm bracket. Man I’m really at a loss here lol. Oh the wheels I bought were brand new wheels and tire and not used ones. When I took off the lowering kit and put the stock stuff back on my whole suspension just feels really off in the front.

Do you have a friend with a GM vehicle that drives normal and you could put the 26's on his ride to see if they ride fine?

OP
OP
memphizhoe

memphizhoe

Reaction score
It also seems to set lower in the front and the driver side is cranked all the way up. The rear seems to be way higher than I remembered it being before it was lowered. Here is a pic for reference.9e4d0b09e643a6a577dca03e0e9ebdf2.jpg

OP
OP
memphizhoe

memphizhoe

Reaction score
26's with rubber band tires will make the shaking more violent/prevalent

Do you have a friend with a GM vehicle that drives normal and you could put the 26's on his ride to see if they ride fine?

I actually do . My brother in law has a long bed Silverado.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take the wheels to a shop that can check for out of round tires. Most 26's are Chinese tires and the QC isn't great. I have a set with 2 that are out of round by 5% and it took 3 places until one place had a machine that could measure them. I put the worst one on the rear and the other had to go on the front due to being directional. It's better but there's still a vibration between 70-75. They're Venezia's. Mystery solved for me.

OP
OP
memphizhoe

memphizhoe

Reaction score
Take the wheels to a shop that can check for out of round tires. Most 26's are Chinese tires and the QC isn't great. I have a set with 2 that are out of round by 5% and it took 3 places until one place had a machine that could measure them. I put the worst one on the rear and the other had to go on the front due to being directional. It's better but there's still a vibration between 70-75. They're Venezia's. Mystery solved for me.
Thanks man I’ll check into that. What is that exactly called ? High speed balancing or something like that ? I saw a video where it looked like that “ shaved” the tire .

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks man I’ll check into that. What is that exactly called ? High speed balancing or something like that ? I saw a video where it looked like that “ shaved” the tire .

I'm not sure but they charged a premium for the balance, like $20 a tire. They advertised they could balance any wheel/tire and had the most recent high-end machine. Just ask if they can measure for out-of'round tires on 26's.

massivespl

I'm not mean, I'm honest.
Reaction score
Just gotta get a tire guy that knows what he’s doing to balance big wheels. Gotta have experience

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Codered5557