2500 Overheating when towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

02Yukon2500

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I recently tried towing my tractor with my 2002 Yukon XL 2500 (6.0). Total weight was around 7000 lbs with the trailer. Temp was 92 deg outside, high humidity. I was running 70 MPH over rolling hills. This was the first time I've towed anything substantial since I got the truck, so I was watching things closely... Within 10 miles, both trans and engine temps were almost to the orange, so I took it back home (slowly). It seemed like the trans temp was the driver, pushing up the engine temp too, but it's hard to be sure.

I've had a ~4000 lb enclossd trailer behind the Yukon in 108 deg heat since then with no issues. With the enclosed trailer, engine temp was 195, and the trans temp was 200.

When running in that heat with no trailer, engine temp is 195 and the trans is also about 195. As a side note, the AC gets hot pretty quickly when I'm stopped too.

I'm thinking I probably need to improve radiator cooling first. I've seen where some have gone to the 05/06 electric fans, or is there another option I should look at? Should I upgrade to a new radiator too, or is the stock as good/better than the aftermarket?

Any upgrades anyone has done for the trans cooling? That's my biggest worry...

Other thoughts?

I've got an 06 GMC 3500 Duramax for my serious towing needs, but I'd like to give my Yukon as much capability as possible...

Thanks,

Danny

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you haver a trans cooler? Towing in 4th (OD)? If so then 2-4 band could be slipping and causing excess heat. If that is it then you will know soon when 2nd and 4th go bye bye. Check your fluid to see if it is burnt. Smell burnt? Should be pink to reddish. Not brown to orangish.
Recommend corvette servo for the extra holding power in 4th(OD). If tranny is high miles since last rebuild then I recommend it being built for towing. If the sunshell is OEM then dont even think about backing up with a trailer and doglegging it!

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can’t speak from experience, but I was under the impression the clutch fan was the better option for towing rigs. It may need some attention / new clutch? The tru-cool 40k is our go-to trans cooler, and it does great work. I’m assuming your 2500 came with the 34” radiator, so that should be correct. I’ve heard of quite a few guys being disappointed when going to aftermarket from OEM on radiators. Last time the cooling system was flushed?
Other than adding the tru-cool, I believe your best bet is to maintain / replace OEM with OEM as needed.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had tow/haul mode on. Truck is completely stock with 140k miles. 99% sure the tyranny hasn't ever been rebuilt. No signs of burnt fluid.

Danny
At 20 years old the clutch fan, radiator core, transmission cooler core are all probably due for replacement to maintain peak operating proficiency. Fresh fluids are your friend as well.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first time I had this issue (2005 Suburban 2500) was when the clutch fan was failing. That was within 10k or so of your mileage (over). The next time this happened, I was in bumper-to-bumper traffic, and it blew the transmission within minutes -- so I don't know what killed it. In order of replacement cost:

1) Check your coolant. Purge the system if you can find a competent shop, or a place that will take used coolant.

2) Check the fan clutch. It may need to be replaced.

3) Clean the transmission cooler. Replace with TRuCool40 if it checks out.

4) Have someone check your transmission. May want to do this anyway, since you already ran hot.

5) Check fir a custom tune on your rig that doesn't have the transmission set up correctly.

Mudsport96

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you haver a trans cooler? Towing in 4th (OD)? If so then 2-4 band could be slipping and causing excess heat. If that is it then you will know soon when 2nd and 4th go bye bye. Check your fluid to see if it is burnt. Smell burnt? Should be pink to reddish. Not brown to orangish.
Recommend corvette servo for the extra holding power in 4th(OD). If tranny is high miles since last rebuild then I recommend it being built for towing. If the sunshell is OEM then dont even think about backing up with a trailer and doglegging it!
The 2500 SHOULD have a 4L80e. So the Corvette servo wont do any good.
A 40k trucool should be all he needs for an 80e to survive anything that a 2500 burb can LEGALLY tow.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 2500 SHOULD have a 4L80e. So the Corvette servo wont do any good.
A 40k trucool should be all he needs for an 80e to survive anything that a 2500 burb can LEGALLY tow.
They make a 4L80E equivalent of the Corvette 4L60E 2-4 apply servo for the 4L80E FWD band. The 4L80E will suffer from the same exact problem of the 4L60E when towing in 4th with oem parts.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2