22" Michelin Defender LTX Tread Wear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bai2020

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Curious what folks running the Defender LTX tires are getting in the way of tread life? I've got about 30k miles on the tires and they're worn down to 4-5mm already. I've used the same tires on other vehicles and get great tire life, but not so much on this vehicle. Seems like i'll be benefiting from the tread life warranty soon, but not sure if I should stick with the defenders (maybe I got a bad set?) or look for an alternative.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you showing the same amount of treadwear on all 4 tires? I have ~20k miles on my Defenders, and while I have not physically measured the actual treadwear, to my naked eye, I don't see significant treadwear.

OP
OP
B

Bai2020

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, similar tire wear on each tire - between 4-5mm for all tires. Seems odd as i've never had an issue with tire wear on the LTX tires.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious what folks running the Defender LTX tires are getting in the way of tread life? I've got about 30k miles on the tires and they're worn down to 4-5mm already. I've used the same tires on other vehicles and get great tire life, but not so much on this vehicle. Seems like i'll be benefiting from the tread life warranty soon, but not sure if I should stick with the defenders (maybe I got a bad set?) or look for an alternative.
Every once in a while we read about this. Usually it is determined that they were under inflated and sometimes there's no rhyme nor reason to it. They easily go 80-100K in our vehicles almost all the time. I would not hesitate to get another set if yours were mine.

OP
OP
B

Bai2020

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Every once in a while we read about this. Usually it is determined that they were under inflated and sometimes there's no rhyme nor reason to it. They easily go 80-100K in our vehicles almost all the time. I would not hesitate to get another set if yours were mine.

With any other tire i'd probably be switching, but i've had good luck with these tires on almost every vehicle i've owned so was thinking the same thing. Just seemed odd they were all wearing uniformly at generally the same levels. I keep up regularly with air pressure, rotations, and alignments, so could just be a bad batch.

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMHO that's pretty good life for those tires. On my Yukon I got about 20K out of the OEM Bridgestones and now have Premiers that may only go 15K.

OP
OP
B

Bai2020

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
IMHO that's pretty good life for those tires. On my Yukon I got about 20K out of the OEM Bridgestones and now have Premiers that may only go 15K.
I'm just surprised because these are rated 70k tires and i'll be lucky to get half that. On my other vehicles, i'd easily get 60-70k miles on these tires.

BADRIDES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My tire rep told me that Michelin is making softer tires so the tires will have a better ride. Well that means they are also wearing faster. I have seen a set wear out in 20,000 miles on a 2020 Equinox. GM actually has a bulletin out about the factory Michelins wearing out and replacing them.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was a PROPER alignment done when the tires were replaced? And by proper I mean the caster and camber adjusted to the center of the spec, not just "green" or worse not messed with at all and just the toe set? These trucks (and the 900s) do major sagging after they leave the factory as the suspension settles and the camber is often -0.7* to -0.9* which will wear out the inside of the tires. Unfortunately, not many guys are taught how to do proper alignments and just think if the screen shows it "green" that it must be good.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sometime back, I had Bridgestones on my older '88 truck... The tread compound was harder as you wore down. They lasted quite a while. ( 60K )......
The Yokohama Geolanders I have on my Yukon wear pretty good, but I just started to notice, after 2 years they are SH*TTY on the wet !! ( Not due to hydroplaning, but just a wet road- after rain)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts