21+ Tahoe LED Tail Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scott in AZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t understand why anyone would use LED that requires a supplemental resistor.

Resistor converts electrical energy into thermal energy. It heats up, probably not hot enough to damage adjacent equipment, but 140-150F is not uncommon. The extra current draw will offset the efficiency advantage of the LED bulb. Unless you carefully spec your resistor there’s really no easy way of knowing if you are actually drawing more power than the incandescent.

LEDs are great. I am using them throughout the interior and for the headlights, fog lights, and reverse lights on my 2001 Yukon. But I’ll stick to OEM spec incandescents for the flashers and brake lamps that need a resistive circuit to work properly. What am I missing ? Brighter? I’m not sure how much benefit there it to brighter flashers and brake lights as long as they are bright enough.

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stock ones look cheap on the back end and have very little light output. Led was the way to go to increase output of the lights. Brighter they are better to be seen by other drivers. At least for me. Also its dark when i leave home so brighter reverse bulbs makes it easier to see when backing up so even if there is something in my way i can easily see it out of mirrors and camera. Thats jut me and mu opinion and reasoning. To each their own.

OP
OP
Deuce16GMCs

Deuce16GMCs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t understand why anyone would use LED that requires a supplemental resistor.

Resistor converts electrical energy into thermal energy. It heats up, probably not hot enough to damage adjacent equipment, but 140-150F is not uncommon. The extra current draw will offset the efficiency advantage of the LED bulb. Unless you carefully spec your resistor there’s really no easy way of knowing if you are actually drawing more power than the incandescent.

LEDs are great. I am using them throughout the interior and for the headlights, fog lights, and reverse lights on my 2001 Yukon. But I’ll stick to OEM spec incandescents for the flashers and brake lamps that need a resistive circuit to work properly. What am I missing ? Brighter? I’m not sure how much benefit there it to brighter flashers and brake lights as long as they are bright enough.

The only light I really care about the reverse bulb. It looks like trash. The light being is emitted is dim and doesn't illuminate anything behind the truck.

Additionally, GM made every light in this truck white with the exception of the reverse light which is yellow halogen. It looks awkward and out of place for this truck.

I really don't care about the turn signal and brake light. But I definitely need to do the reverse light.

OP
OP
Deuce16GMCs

Deuce16GMCs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm a little confused.

My job site just got (5) 2022 Tahoe's in and the turn signal bulbs are LEDs.

Attached are pictures of my halogen orange bulbs on my 2023 and their LED on the 2022.

Did GM have LED bulbs planned for the Tahoe/Suburbans and then remove them on 2023?

IMG20230605165746.jpg

Attachments

• IMG20230606110537.jpg
    IMG20230606110537.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 9

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if someone requested the LEDs to be installed? From what i have seen or read, none of the tahoes or suburbans from 21 and up have had factory led in tail lights outside of parking light strips.

OP
OP
Deuce16GMCs

Deuce16GMCs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok...so I got the back story.

They are combo LEDs that were put in during a police package. They are yellow, red, blue led combos. Nice.

Tinbadtin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok...so I got the back story.

They are combo LEDs that were put in during a police package. They are yellow, red, blue led combos. Nice.

I wonder if they also use resistors mounted to the underbody :Big Laugh:

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only light I really care about the reverse bulb. It looks like trash. The light being is emitted is dim and doesn't illuminate anything behind the truck.

Additionally, GM made every light in this truck white with the exception of the reverse light which is yellow halogen. It looks awkward and out of place for this truck.

I really don't care about the turn signal and brake light. But I definitely need to do the reverse light.

is there an upgradable halogen bulb?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17