21 Tahoe HC - Air in Tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryabrams

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Must I fill the tires with Nitrogen or is regular ambient air ok? I have green step caps that have a bit "N" on them ... not sure if this was a dealer BS thing or not.

Am I ok to fill as normal?

Thanks!

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never heard of a situation where air won't work in an over-the-road tire. You should be fine with air.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also should these tires be running 52 psi? Seems pretty firm.....

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no way to purge the air from the tire when inflating with nitrogen so the tires will be filled with a mixture regardless. It would be interesting to hear opinions of pressure changing during temperature swings.

I'm a tire pressure nut, it has to be right at 33 to 34 psi at warm operating temperature. With our recent warming the temperature change increased my tire pressure to 36 on a return leg yesterday and it was driving me nuts with the difference in steering sensitivity and harsh ride. Does anyone else fret over tire pressure I wonder.

Holy Roller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no way to purge the air from the tire when inflating with nitrogen so the tires will be filled with a mixture regardless. It would be interesting to hear opinions of pressure changing during temperature swings.

I'm a tire pressure nut, it has to be right at 33 to 34 psi at warm operating temperature. With our recent warming the temperature change increased my tire pressure to 36 on a return leg yesterday and it was driving me nuts with the difference in steering sensitivity and harsh ride. Does anyone else fret over tire pressure I wonder.
Yep, I’m one of those guys, too. I have a Snap-on pressure gauge that takes 10 samples and resolves to one decimal place.

With ambient air, I observe consistent tire pressure changes of 2.5 PSI for every 10 degree Celsius change.

I’ve had nitrogen fill many times before, and would do it again, but have not documented its performance in accordance to Boyle’s Law PV=nRT. The purge was achieved via removal of the valve core and aspirating the tire.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094