2023 Tahoe Buying Advice - Ordering vs Looking For?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mb1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The years mentioned are more likely, but they are all at risk. GM has had AFM issues ever since they rolled it out but with supply chain issues probably went with a different supplier(s) for the 21+ engines and are having a more significant failure rate. All 8 Lifters are AFM vs only 4 in previous years also doubles the possibility of having an issue. Some have issues and others don’t, really is just luck of the draw.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lifters is question: does it matter if the Tahoe is an early 22, late 22 or a 23? Do they all have the lifter issues or was it fixed in 21?

This week I may make an offer on an early 22 or a mid 22. I did not know if it mattered, coming from a Toyota I can’t have this thing be down with 10k miles on it.
22s are not without lifter failures. I don’t think there’s an exact date range you should avoid, but if I was in your shoes I would get the newest 22 possible.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The date range of engines produced in the time of the known lifter issue is of biggest concern (Sep 2020-March 2021). This likely hits all the early 2021 MY production, into late 2021.

See: https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/12/gm-releases-valve-lifter-service-update-for-v8-engines/amp/

That said, there are some 2022 owners who have reported problems as well. As a previous poster said, this design/scheme has been in production back to 2007; but the newer DFM engines have 2x the lifters. That said, yours truly ran a 2013 Suburban w/ AFM for 115k trouble free miles. Now rocking a 2022 Yukon XL produced in Jan 2022 (engine produced in week 47 of 2021). At 9k miles now with no issues.

My gut is it is a less than 1% problem…there are a LOT of these on the road…1% would still be a large number. But; if it were more than that; you’d see way more fails.

There is a whole thread or thirty three on Lifters…search and read to your heat’s content…but remember; most soccer moms rockin the Denali are not coming here to post. They are gassing up and going.

Last edited:

mb1500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The date range of engines produced in the time of the known lifter issue is of biggest concern (Sep 2020-March 2021). This likely hits all the early 2021 MY production, into late 2021.

See: https://gmauthority.com/blog/2021/12/gm-releases-valve-lifter-service-update-for-v8-engines/amp/

That said, there are some 2022 owners who have reported problems as well. As a previous poster said, this design/scheme has been in production back to 2007; but the newer DFM engines have 2x the lifters. That said, yours truly ran a 2013 Suburban w/ AFM for 115k trouble free miles. Now rocking a 2022 Yukon XL produced in Jan 2022 (engine produced in week 47 of 2021). At 9k miles now with no issues.

My gut is it is a less than 1% problem…there are a LOT of these on the road…1% would still be a large number. But; if it were more than that; you’d see way more fails.

There is a whole thread or thirty three on Lifters…search and read to your heat’s content…but remember; most soccer moms rockin the Denali are not coming here to post. They are gassing up and going.

With 87 octane to boot.

todayusay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
imagine someone will refute this...had a service manager tell me back in the spring that if I made it to 10-15k miles I'd probably be ok. Said that all of the lifter problems they had seen were happening in the first 10k miles and most around 4-6k

OP
OP
W

WilliamMunny

Reaction score
imagine someone will refute this...had a service manager tell me back in the spring that if I made it to 10-15k miles I'd probably be ok. Said that all of the lifter problems they had seen were happening in the first 10k miles and most around 4-6k
My luck they will hold out to 40k miles, just outside the warranty.

OP
OP
W

WilliamMunny

Reaction score
All thank you for the help, just singed for a Tahoe today.

2022 Tahoe LT Dark Ash 5.3
-LT Signature Plus
-2nd Row bucket

I was able to pay MSRP plus the $1k Costco discount. Gave me within 10% of what Carmax for my trade would but the tax savings made up for a lot of it.

Think it was a solid deal in this market, it’s on a train now and I should have it in a week. It had the higher LT MSRP ($60500) so it should have been built the second half of this year or so. 4.99% for 60 months too through GM which was solid.

Last edited:

saturnfire

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Really good to see some movement down in pricing. hopefully will see further correction in the coming months.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17