2023 model and speed limit signs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bill from Houston

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do the 23 models need OnStar for the active speed limit signs to show up?

My 23 Suburban seems to have stopped showing the speed limit. Seems to coincide with my initial free trial of OnStar ending.

My 2021 Yukon has the SD card.
You do not need anything. Just run thru the settings on the dash and you can select to show the speed limits.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You do not need anything. Just run thru the settings on the dash and you can select to show the speed limits.
Wrong...

The actual numbers for speed limit on a given road come from the downloaded offline map in the Infotainment system.
You can't keep an offline map around w/ out a subscription, that I can tell...they expire...
So, in absence of a data plan, you get an empty speed limit sign showing "--", which is what the OP reported.

Larry07Yukon

Reaction score
At least the heated seats are included! :) But seriously, I absolutely detest monthly subscriptions for expensive products that I've already purchased, Trucks, Peloton, etc. Now that they're forcing you to buy 3 years of On-Star with the new vehicle it should have just been lifetime access, then they can fleece the next owner when I trade in...
I read an article somewhere that Ram maybe charging to unlock payload capacity. I thought BMW was outrageous with the heated seats, but this one struck me as a whole new level of thievery

I loathe the day when the car I own won’t start because I didn’t sign up for the monthly subscription for ignition service

I wonder when the tire companies will get with the program. $400 a tire and they’re all mine? Sure let’s do it…wait, wtf is this $18.95 a month inflation subscription? WHAT?!?! My tires will deflate themselves unless I pay a subscription?

WilliamMunny

Reaction score
a mobile hotspot works for the app's on my 18 even though the moron at onstar told me it wouldn't, they told me it would only work with there 4g service but discovered otherwise when I dug a little deeper
When you say mobile hot spot do you mean a cell phone paired with the system or turning a cell phone into a hot spot then having the truck log into that wifi?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you say mobile hot spot do you mean a cell phone paired with the system or turning a cell phone into a hot spot then having the truck log into that wifi?
have the vehicle connected to wifi, so the onboard apps have internet access

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
have the vehicle connected to wifi, so the onboard apps have internet access
It is not clear from the verbiage on the infotainment screens that this actually works in the 22+ Google based radio. Not saying it doesn't...but, there is some wording in there saying "an active data plan is needed even with offline maps."

Need someone w/ a vehicle w/ no data plan to attempt and report...i cannot, my plan still active.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is not clear from the verbiage on the infotainment screens that this actually works in the 22+ Google based radio. Not saying it doesn't...but, there is some wording in there saying "an active data plan is needed even with offline maps."

Need someone w/ a vehicle w/ no data plan to attempt and report...i cannot, my plan still active.
you "might" still be able to try it by having the vehicle connect to a different wifi other than the built in one and see what happens.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you "might" still be able to try it by having the vehicle connect to a different wifi other than the built in one and see what happens.
No, it is more than the network...the head unit software actually "knows" if you have a data plan or not, and enables/disables features accordingly; it is not just the presence of a network or not; its the presence of the key that is active (by key, I mean the security key in the software).

My nav will function perfectly off the offline map when not connected, because it has a valid key. Someone w/ an expired data plan will not, even though the have a copy of the offline map stored.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, it is more than the network...the head unit software actually "knows" if you have a data plan or not, and enables/disables features accordingly; it is not just the presence of a network or not; its the presence of the key that is active (by key, I mean the security key in the software).

My nav will function perfectly off the offline map when not connected, because it has a valid key. Someone w/ an expired data plan will not, even though the have a copy of the offline map stored.
never heard of such a thing with google software but ok

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt