2023 Google OS infotainment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MN1965

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Dang this is a disappointing thread. I've always thought the GM Infotainment system was weak and was hoping for some improvement on my next vehicle. Looks like they've done the impossible and made it WORSE!

Does Apple Car Play in the 2022+ connect via WiFi/Bluetooth, or do you have to plug in each time you enter/exit a vehicle? My 2018 definitely requires plugging in.

K-Bar

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Does Apple Car Play in the 2022+ connect via WiFi/Bluetooth, or do you have to plug in each time you enter/exit a vehicle? My 2018 definitely requires plugging in.
Bluetooth - my Apple CarPlay connects seamlessly and knows where I’m going from my calendar.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang this is a disappointing thread. I've always thought the GM Infotainment system was weak and was hoping for some improvement on my next vehicle. Looks like they've done the impossible and made it WORSE!

The vehicle supports wireless CarPlay...pairing your iPhone via BlueTooth will prompt you further to enable wireless car plan (which actually uses a private WiFi connection w/ the infotainment system)

mplunk

Reaction score

Don't let the debbie downers in this thread discourage you... the infotainment system is miles ahead of your 2018. There is a bit of a learning curve for sure but if you're a Carplay person it connects quickly and takes over the whole screen. If you're tech savvy (and a little patient) the built in features also work really well.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My experience with the infotainment is that it gets weird and buggy if your phone is lack luster when connected either thru Android auto or Apple car play. Especially if your phone is lacking in the RAM department.

NothEastTahoe

Reaction score
The vehicle supports wireless CarPlay...pairing your iPhone via BlueTooth will prompt you further to enable wireless car plan (which actually uses a private WiFi connection w/ the infotainment system)
I don't get this. I already have unlimited data with my cell phone, why the heck would I pay for a plan on my car? I get 3 years free with the purchase then it will never be renewed. My phone does hotspots just like the car too....

Well my wifes phone does, and any other modern one.

This whole "I need data to use my car" is absurd. I am not trying to argue with you, I really don't understand it.

NothEastTahoe

Reaction score
Don't let the debbie downers in this thread discourage you... the infotainment system is miles ahead of your 2018. There is a bit of a learning curve for sure but if you're a Carplay person it connects quickly and takes over the whole screen. If you're tech savvy (and a little patient) the built in features also work really well.
except if you don't want to use them, its almost impossible to stop the prompts. Other than that I agree it is a good OS. I just hate the prompts every time I turn the car on. And yes I have shut down and disabled google assistant, it STILL prompts me every time I turn the car on to sign in.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't get this. I already have unlimited data with my cell phone, why the heck would I pay for a plan on my car? I get 3 years free with the purchase then it will never be renewed. My phone does hotspots just like the car too....

This whole "I need data to use my car" is absurd. I am not trying to argue with you, I really don't understand it.
Nobody said you need data to use your car. You do need the vehicle's connected data to continue to use the built in google maps, enhanced XM radio features, and any of the other onboard apps that you may or may not choose to download and use. You also need it to run the built in google assistant where you can voice command the car to change radio stations, adjust the HVAC, etc...some people don't mind doing it the old fahsiond way....its a choice...and your call if you want it or not. But if you do, you need the data plan.

I agree it is not needed to run the car, but some people may prefer to use the built in's vs phone projection. My only point previously is that if you want the onboard maps, the annual data plan is about the same cost as buying updated maps annually for the older systems that required the maps in the vehicle...so it is kind of a wash.

OP
OP
Baja_Bob

Baja_Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the At&t data plan on my '21 because it had the RSE, the wifi was drop it's signal depending on where you are driving. I never actually used the RSE with a firestick outside of the driveway when I first got the vehicle, so I cancelled the data plan.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Think of it this way - in previous years you needed to either pay for the "Navigation Package" or pay for a higher trim level to get it. I'm not certain how it was on the pre-21+ GM SUV generation, but amongst all automotive OEMs in the last 10+ years navigation was an add-on and you paid for it one way or another. The map data loaded on your vehicle when it was new was out-of-date immediately and depending on where you live could really get annoying because new roads won't show up. Your vehicle OEM would send you a "new map data" offer usually after a year and it would be ~$100 to update the map in your vehicle.

For '22+ GM full-size SUVs, every trim level gets the map functionality pre-loaded, but if you want to use it you need to pay for it monthly. The advantage is that it's always up-to-date map data and doesn't cost extra when you buy the vehicle.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the OnStar "data plan" is necessarily a good thing, but you have to look at built-in navigation as an expense. The old way was to pay for it up front and then pay to keep it up to date. The new way is to pay for it monthly through a subscription. Ultimately, the subscription becomes more expensive in the long-run and hence why the world is going to SaaS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879